Port Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or before your divers got in the water, depending on when the call was made. Obviously there is no way for the boat captain to tell divers at depth to call the dive.

Sure there is - they circle over you maybe revving the motors or banging on the boat - emergency get back up here kinda thing

Most proper dive boats have an under bow siren that they’ll blow to alert divers to return to the ship...obvious the smaller boats in Coz would not unfortunately.

Sure there is - they circle over you maybe revving the motors or banging on the boat - emergency get back up here kinda thing

If you say so, I guess, but I am skeptical. I've never heard such a thing discussed in a briefing; maybe the DM would be alert for it. I would hazard a guess, though, that the causes for most port closings wouldn't be such that the time to finish a dive would be a problem.

It is possible that one time we were hurried into the water before a recall could be called. And for some reason no method was discussed to call us back to the boat. No, couldn't have happened like that.

Most proper dive boats have an under bow siren that they’ll blow to alert divers to return to the ship...obvious the smaller boats in Coz would not unfortunately.
But the seasoned DM's and Captains have signalling protocols - for example revving the engine X number of times

But the seasoned DM's and Captains have signalling protocols - for example revving the engine X number of times
Well that works...heck, tossing in a stick of dynamite works as long as it’s part of the dive plan:)

I'm not working the tent this year but I can't wait to cheer you on WITHOUT a broken shoulder this time! I'll coordinate with your lovely wife to be in her cheering section! Haha!

Yes, no broken anything! I don’t think Wendy is working the tent either but we really haven’t talked about it. It was awesome last time as she go to come backstage when I finished. I did get her a VIP pass so she’ll have somewhere for shade and food

Yes, banging on the aluminum ladder with a hammer can be heard quite well along with revving engines.

Normally if the port closes while divers are down, do you bring them up or do you let them finish the dive?

Normally if the port closes while divers are down, do you bring them up or do you let them finish the dive?
Depends on how bad it gets

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom