Fire on safari boat Suzana in Egypt (Red Sea Aggressor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting you mention Divers Heaven. Did you know that "Heaven One" was burned completely and sunk in 2003 and "Heaven Diamond" in 2008 had the same fate? No fatalities, only 1 person injured in 2008.

:eek:

Perhaps that is why the crew is more "aware".

I'm gonna nitpick here because facts matter (and John, you should know better):
1. 34 fatalities, not 39.
2. And "You cannot kill . . ." is rather accusatory, don't cha think? How about "34 people can't die and it's kept secret."

It's a fair cop on the number - however, I went with a friend from England many years ago for a dive trip to Catalina (I was working in Hollywood at the time) and when I saw the sleeping arrangements on the boat, I decided to cancel, and went back to the presumed safety of the Beverly Wilshire. My post was accusatory and the accusation stands.

There's very little information in the press. Most of the information, including eye witnesses, is here, on SB. The Conception was all over the news, probably because it happened and was reported in the US

The fact of the matter is that the people of America are very much less well informed than those elsewhere in the world. When I worked in LA, I was always bemused that the LA Times international news section dealt mainly with what happened in Washington. You may not believe it, but the USA is still a very insular country. The Conception fire made news throughout Europe at least. If you go to DEMA, check this out with any European attendees. I don't suppose the RSA1 story will make much coverage in the US and wouldn't make any at all if only foreigners died.

There's very little information in the press. Most of the information, including eye witnesses, is here, on SB. The Conception was all over the news, probably because it happened and was reported in the US

A couple of things here, obviously people in this thread expect the same level of news reporting in the rest of the world as it is in the West.

For the News to be disseminated first you'll need Western reporters to get the story and post it onto the international feed. Most international journalists will be in Cairo and may not hear (or be bothered)

News is disseminated nowadays to entice readers/viewers to that outlet (which is a business. Hence stories are published to appeal to that media's demographic, or in such a sensationalised way to act as "click bait"

Different countries have different rules, and may limit the amount of info to be published, to prevent trial by media (or because it may damage that counties image)

A couple of years back there was a Technical diver who died here. There was a blanket ban on reporting while it was investigated. Even now no real info has come forward (apart from diver gossip). Those who were on that dive or knew the people haven't spoken.

It may not be a Machiavellian conspiracy by Aggressor.

Interesting you mention Divers Heaven. Did you know that "Heaven One" was burned completely and sunk in 2003 and "Heaven Diamond" in 2008 had the same fate? No fatalities, only 1 person injured in 2008.

For this reason, the Austrian-run Diver's Heaven fleet always took passports etc and placed them in a suitable container in the wheelhouse. They found out the hard way what the problems of passengers without passports can be.

For this reason, the Austrian-run Diver's Heaven fleet always took passports etc and placed them in a suitable container in the wheelhouse. They found out the hard way the problems of passengers without passports can be.
Siren fleet do the same (or at least make the offer) and they've learnt from experience too

I'm like you that I have a grab [dry] bag with all my important docs and stuff in, always close at hand.

For this reason, the Austrian-run Diver's Heaven fleet always took passports etc and placed them in a suitable container in the wheelhouse. They found out the hard way what the problems of passengers without passports can be.
Unfortunately despite the container, all passports were lost in the second incident according to his report. These were well managed boats with well trained crew and I am sure this is the reason loss of life was prevented, but even you are prepared, things may go wrong..

Hi
So sorry for your loss and the treatment you and the other survivors endured

Try contacting Undercurrent.org
to tell your story. They are not supported by advertisers and print the truth as told by fellow divers

Here is their objective per their website
Undercurrent, a nonprofit organization, has published a monthly, subscription-only, ad-free newsletter, with travel reviews -- the good, the bad, and the ugly -- by undercover correspondents, the latest on safety, accidents, and divers deaths (what divers must do to dive safely), equipment issues and problems, and features on tipping protocol ... ensuring ocean rescue ... dive insurance shortcomings ... liability lawsuits ... using that safety sausage properly ... problems with online booking agents ... which resorts and liveaboards fail our standards . . . .everything a serious traveling diver needs to know.

Hope this helps and provides you another avenue to tell this story
Divers need to know

Annie

took passports etc and placed them in a suitable container in the wheelhouse

The boat I was on in Thailand (which I believe has links to Siren) put them in a drybag that lived on the railing on the primary exit path. There was a crew member assigned to grab it in emergencies, but it was placed such that anyone could grab it if needed. One could debate the security implications of this but from a straight up making sure they are intact in a fire or other emergency perspective this seemed to be even better than relying on a specific person being in a specific place.

I wonder if clipping it to the EPIRB might not be a terrible idea and let it float free.

Also, a wet passport is better than no passport. They hold up remarkably well. On return from my first solo international trip at age 18 mine got 'laundered' - bit of a pain to replace but it was less bad than if I'd lost it entirely at least from the perspective of the Canadian government.

Mine currently lives in a ziplock waterproof pouch from Amazon (heavy plastic, sized to match) regardless of where it is - even in my pocket. It helps keep it in generally good condition even when water isn't a factor.
https://www.amazon.ca/Seattle-Sport...eywords=passport+pouch&qid=1573133145&sr=8-28

The boat I was on in Thailand (which I believe has links to Siren) put them in a drybag that lived on the railing on the primary exit path. There was a crew member assigned to grab it in emergencies, but it was placed such that anyone could grab it if needed. One could debate the security implications of this but from a straight up making sure they are intact in a fire or other emergency perspective this seemed to be even better than relying on a specific person being in a specific place.

I see the logic in this however I would be hard pressed to surrender my passport to someone else.
If I give it to them it might make it off the boat. If I keep it, it will definitely make it off the boat if I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom