Fire on safari boat Suzana in Egypt (Red Sea Aggressor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Egyptian owned/operated liveaboard I did in the Red Sea in September was about $500 cheaper than the Aggressor, and on board my boat, beer and wine cost $3 a pop. I don't like to drink on liveaboards so I had exactly one beer the whole week. I would have needed to drink 166 more beers before the Aggressor would have been worth the upcharge.

I think ppl choose Aggressor because they think they’re American (company and boats) and it’s a “trusted” brand. Even if it costs more.

Some of the things I learnt from this accident so far are:
1. To bring along a small dry pouch with string to hang it around my neck, containing my iPhone, a credit card and passport, put the pouch next to me during napping / sleeping in the cabin.
2. To bring along portable smoke detector in addition to the CO detector and turn them on during the night.
3. To remember where the life jacket is located inside the cabin and how to reach for it in the dark.
4. To locate emergency hatch and try to open it once after emergency briefing.

Any other things / actions I should add?

That's already an excellent list, but I would add "at the safety briefing, ask the crew to confirm that they will have a night watch, and when you get up to pee in the middle of the first night, take a quick walkabout to see that someone is actually on watch."

I know this is overkill, but I have an Iridium satellite phone for other reasons; I take it on LOB trips; the model I have has some water resistance, but I keep it in a Light Monkey canister together with my ditch/dry bag.

I also took one on my last trip to Raja Ampat. If LOB diving is in my future again I would consider buying one.

Some of the things I learnt from this accident so far are:
1. To bring along a small dry pouch with string to hang it around my neck, containing my iPhone, a credit card and passport, put the pouch next to me during napping / sleeping in the cabin.

Any other things / actions I should add?

One item that I include in my “grab and dash” bag is a small, relatively powerful submersible flashlight. I currently have a UK Aqualite LED video light for this purpose.

I am bound legally and will only be able to speak with the lawyer representing the case. Please do understand. There is no motive here.
What case? Who will sue? Where is there standing? What lawyer?

Aggressor gave me this small plastic dry bag on one of my trips. It's a good size for passport, wallet, telephone, keys.. I didn't have to use it.
upload_2019-11-7_9-54-46.png

Even as the reports in English so far are scarce, on the German Taucher.net there now is another first hand account that corraborates the account on this board, all the way to the abysmal treatment by Aggressor... the story stands and won‘t go away!

Taucher.Net now has an English version of the report in their news section: Egypt: Red Sea Aggressor 1 burning - Diveinside News

I know this is overkill, but I have an Iridium satellite phone for other reasons; I take it on LOB trips; the model I have has some water resistance, but I keep it in a Light Monkey canister together with my ditch/dry bag.
You can rent sat phones for reasonable prices. I would not go on a LOB trip without one personally. Well under $100 for a week Verizon Satellite Phone Solutions - Home or Rent an Iridium Extreme 9575 Satellite Phone from $49.99/wk or any of a hundred others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom