bikini atoll is it worth the $$

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lermontov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Im considering booking to go to bikini but really struggling with the price - how does it compare to other dive sites - I've dived Solomon's a few times (rate that ) ,Chook (rate that too ), Philippines (Coron wrecks) is it somewhere you go because it just that good or would you spend your money doing other stuff

has anyone been who has also been to the above mentioned spots? how would you compare it

The only reason it would be once in a lifetime is because of the ridiculous travel time associated in getting there. Guam or HNL to Island Hopper to KWAJ to the ferry to Ebeye to the tender to the liveaboard and then a 24-30hr Pacific crossing. The Island Hopper is also notorious for losing/delaying bags so plan to get to Kwaj a few days in advance and stay at Hotel Ebeye (a hotel with no email or phone). You could stay on Chuuk or Majuro to try and trim this likelihood.

What’s your certification level? It’s close to $7.50/cf for He and $2.00/cf for Oxygen on the Truk Master. Sorb was ~$250 or so a keg.

The Saratoga and the Prinz Eugen (opening dive in KWAJ) have shallow opportunities but the sand is at 170-180 at most sites. I’d advise against going on open circuit (deep air), especially with a chamber being 1.5-2.5 days and a prayer away.

Pete Mesley’s trips are far less frequent but have an onboard chamber. The Truk Master aims for 10-12 trips a year and Cridgey runs a great op.

Aron Agrimsson of Dirty Dozen is a great resource to reach out to. I was not on one of his trips.

Long story short: worth it, but take the 14 night option and plan three weeks or so away from home. Park fees+cylinder rental+gas+sorb can add up. My end of trip bill with He/O2/Sorb was on par with those diving open circuit (deep air) because of the O2 cost.

EDIT: Don't go without trip insurance. This year there were trips interrupted for DCS hit, Dengue Fever, and US missle testing. If you can book directly through BlueOTwo, do that. We had an atrocious experience w Dive Adventures.

Im considering booking to go to bikini but really struggling with the price

Only place in the world to dive on that many wrecks that were nuked all in one place. And this is why is stays on the list o dives to do before I die.

I did it in 2006-7 it was the second last stay on the island trip , I loved it trip of a life time but it was all deep air ! I was told we had mix but got there and nope , we did not even have deco bottles (promised ) we had to deco on a bar ....the wrecks were the best mostly intact , not like a blown apart ones down the road , we only had 1 airplane for all the marshal islands at the time (aircraft down and waiting for parts ) so we all knew if we had to get to a chamber we were toast ...I changed my dive schedule to de gas more out of the water . would I go again ? yes but id have better surface support support , like all salt water wrecks there all getting worse condition , diving the sara in itself was worth the trip

warm water, good vis, real warships. chuuk is good, but they're all cargo tubs mostly except for the fumitzuki, oite, and the ijn sub.

Pete Mesley has nothing to do with Bikini. The Indies Surveyor runs trips but is mostly booked out for scientific or film work. Whole vessel charters are sometimes available, check their website for availability.

well its too late ive booked :D

@nadwidny

Perhaps you have something to add to this thread?

Perhaps you'd like to keep it to yourself? :p

I've dived Truk several times. I've dived Bikini Atoll. The Bikini wrecks were warships at action stations (without crews) when they went down - mainly sunk by water that fell from the undersea explosion of 'Baker'. More exciting and almost every ship is iconic. You need to be comfortable at 55m (180 feet) deep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom