Nitrox - Is it "worth it"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

many divers such as myself can definitely tell a difference..well.. "nothing could be further from the truth" is certainly not a statement based in any sort of science or fact.

Feeling better isn't a statement of science or fact either. That's the whole point.

Many planetary inhabitants still believe the earth is flat.

Feeling better isn't a statement of science or fact either. That's the whole point.

It is once a scientist quantifies and measures it is, the reason the study is done is to find if the anecdotal evidence is correct. When I get over a flu, I feel better, it is a statement of fact. Now people felt he same way about it for centuries before scientists proved that one feels like s**t when they have the flu, and feel better after they are over it, so now we have flu shots. By your reasoning, no one really felt better after having the flu untill there was a study.

Because it is not fatigue, does not mean there is not some reason for this effect, in one fatigue study they said perhaps decompression stress. Whether that study will be made is another question.

Bob

There is a lot of good info here, and some of questionable value. I want to stress something I didn’t see discussed. Whether diving nitrox or air, if you dive to the NDL your nitrogen loading is the same. It’s the maximum allowable for a direct ascent. There is no increased safety provided by diving nitrox to the NDL

Dive nitrox on air profiles and you certainly gain the benefit of decreased nitrogen loading. Then you get the advantage of shorter SI.

There is some benefit to off gassing during ascent by breathing the higher PPO2. Can’t hurt but doesn’t make a material difference.

There is a lot of good info here, and some of questionable value. I want to stress something I didn’t see discussed. Whether diving nitrox or air, if you dive to the NDL your nitrogen loading is the same. It’s the maximum allowable for a direct ascent. There is no increased safety provided by diving nitrox to the NDL

Dive nitrox on air profiles and you certainly gain the benefit of decreased nitrogen loading. Then you get the advantage of shorter SI.

There is some benefit to off gassing during ascent by breathing the higher PPO2. Can’t hurt but doesn’t make a material difference.
Why do you say it doesn't make a material difference?

Combine that with the fact that many divers such as myself can definitely tell a difference..well.. "nothing could be further from the truth" is certainly not a statement based in any sort of science or fact.

Hi kelemvor,

Science may not have proved the "so-called" placebo affect from using EANx v. 21%, but science has not disproved that some divers do feel less fatigued. Your comments regarding the studies above are right-on. Any scientist who would cite such flawed and half baked studies to prove his point, may not be worth the value of the paper that his/her diploma is printed on.

I don't have conclusive evidence either way; however, I think while diving some conservative profiles, like an air plan while using EANx, I may feel less fatigued after the dived.. We are all different, what works for me may not work for others.

By your reasoning, no one really felt better after having the flu untill there was a study.

Because it is not fatigue, does not mean there is not some reason for this effect, in one fatigue study they said perhaps decompression stress. Whether that study will be made is another question.

Right on Bob,

markm

Inexperienced diver here, with Nitrox certification is next on my todo list - for the simple reason that I am going to be diving with a group or buddy, and not having Nitrox certification limits the dives I can do since other people may choose to use it.

Looking at dive tables, I am underwhelmed by the advantage to Nitrox, especially considering Nitrox limits the depth you can go. Not only are you trading the ability to go deep for more time at medium depth, the increased risk of bad things happening if you go deeper than you intend (either not watching gauge, current, etc) to seems an even trade for the decreased risk of a lower NDL number.

I have done 5 dives in 1 day, and I have done 4 dives on days diving near the recreational depth limits. 4 dives is exhausting, mentally if not physically. I love being under water, but it is nice to relax, eat, drink and talk to other divers. I can't imagine trying to do 8+ dives in the same day, it would start to feel like work and not vacation.

I know Nitrox doesn't mean your gas supply lasts longer, but I am surprised it does not. We breath to exchange CO2 for O2, so more O2 should mean less need to breath as fast. It certainly works the other way - on a high enough mountain I breath harder just walking than I would be running a 6 minute mile at sea level. Does anyone know why Nitrox doesn't slow down breathing?

GOOD GOD MAN! Are you implying that it's not????

A guy on you tube made a video proving the earth is flat.

Surely someone can upload a video proving EAN is worth it. Then this will all be settled.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom