Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone knows that on the Internet every statement is to be implicitly prefaced by "In my opinion,..." It doesn't need to be said explicitly in every sentence. That is, in my opinion. :)
I should put this as signature

Goodness y’all are like a pack of piranhas.....

his channel is 99% devoted to recreational divers... particularly new divers.

and for that audience, he’s really not wrong, especially when he’s offering advise on what a first time buyer should buy.

a lot of people when they first get into a hobby look to see what the “pros” use and try to mimic that setup..... because if it’s good enough for tech divers to dive with, it’s got to be much better than what Rec divers are using.

the problem is if you aren’t trained or practiced for using a long hose setup....and you are diving with other Rec divers who are also not trained and practiced using a long hose setup..... that can lead to a lot of confusion in case of an emergency

Goodness y’all are like a pack of piranhas.....

his channel is 99% devoted to recreational divers... particularly new divers.

and for that audience, he’s really not wrong, especially when he’s offering advise on what a first time buyer should buy.

a lot of people when they first get into a hobby look to see what the “pros” use and try to mimic that setup..... because if it’s good enough for tech divers to dive with, it’s got to be much better than what Rec divers are using.

the problem is if you aren’t trained or practiced for using a long hose setup....and you are diving with other Rec divers who are also not trained and practiced using a long hose setup..... that can lead to a lot of confusion in case of an emergency

Yeah, spot on analysis! A lot of potty training difficulties carrying on into adulthood among the critics. Some DIR divers are about as tiresome as vegans.

And then there's 13:25-45; sad but often true.

I have people on the internet to argue with.

Don’t we all ? :)
Maybe you don’t, but I definitely wish I was decent at getting things right :)

He hasn't kept up to date. For example, before I stopped teaching for PADI, there was an article in the training bulletin about sharing air. Do you donate? Do you give the alternate? Which reg should you donate? Alec knows that things have changed, given the following video of old versus new training, but it seems that he thinks it hasn't changed since he stopped teaching.

He has no training in the long hose but provides his opinion. I'm sorry, but when it comes to economic policy, people should listen to a nobel prize winning economist and not listen to me. There is nothing stopping Alec from going out and getting some training so he has some basis for an opinion.

He hasn't kept up to date. For example, before I stopped teaching for PADI, there was an article in the training bulletin about sharing air. Do you donate? Do you give the alternate? Which reg should you donate? Alec knows that things have changed, given the following video of old versus new training, but it seems that he thinks it hasn't changed since he stopped teaching.

I don't think he doesn't know about it, simply that he advocates for the traditional scuba setup.

I don't think he doesn't know about it, simply that he advocates for the traditional scuba setup.
Hard to say when he seems to speak in absolutes. Maybe his audience is the lowest common denominator: on the knees trained divers who crater and cork, and can't plan their own dives.

I've been diving since 1993, and have taken classes though NAUI, PADI, SDI, TDI, IANTD and AAUS. I was a dive guide for over a decade and have taken 10's of thousands of divers in the water. I have never ONCE heard a single instructor or dive master or anyone promote just opening up yourself for an out of gas diver to respectfully grab your octo out of its holder. Not ONCE. From day one, it was always control your own air source, controll the out of air diver.

There are plenty of reasons to not like/ not advocate for use of a long hose or against primary donate, but just letting the out of air diver grab your reg is not one of them. Ironically, that is the primary reason it works because 9 times out of 10 the octo is floating free behind the diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom