Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hard to say when he seems to speak in absolutes. Maybe his audience is the vast majority of divers: on the knees trained divers who crater and cork, and can't plan their own dives.
Fixed it for you.

Alec will never make everyone happy.

Alec will never make everyone happy.
He doesn't need to make anyone happy, but he does need to be accurate. Failure of such invites well deserved criticism.

I have never ONCE heard a single instructor or dive master or anyone promote just opening up yourself for an out of gas diver to respectfully grab your octo out of its holder

Amen!

I really want to see an IDC demonstration for this..... :rofl3:

I've been diving since 1993, and have taken classes though NAUI, PADI, SDI, TDI, IANTD and AAUS. I was a dive guide for over a decade and have taken 10's of thousands of divers in the water. I have never ONCE heard a single instructor or dive master or anyone promote just opening up yourself for an out of gas diver to respectfully grab your octo out of its holder. Not ONCE. From day one, it was always control your own air source, controll the out of air diver.

There are plenty of reasons to not like/ not advocate for use of a long hose or against primary donate, but just letting the out of air diver grab your reg is not one of them. Ironically, that is the primary reason it works because 9 times out of 10 the octo is floating free behind the diver.
BSAC teaches alternate take: you let the OOA diver take your alternate.

After watching the first video, I was wondering if he was trolling :)

Of course he's trolling. Generating interest and controversy leading to youtube hits and advertising money for his other videos people land on. Read my first post. :wink:

BTW, that is obviously Alec's p-d off face, and he gets increasingly agitated, talking and smiling through gritted teeth, with his voice fluctuating. Notice the different demeanor in other videos.

Note that he even throws in at 13:13: "Did you see me pulling a hose, 1, 2, 3, 4 rolls from me? No..." He's teasing you guys.

Alec has seen enough long hoses. He just doesn't like them for recreational divers - and the newbie market is and always has been his target audience.

Since there are so many posts here I put in my 2 cents worth. I'm a recreational diver-- no caves or wreck penetration for me and use the short hose system for a number of reasons. I keep my PRIMARY reg on a bungee necklace and the octo is secured with a magnetic holder so if it gets deployed it's easy to reattach. The bungee means I never lose my primary air supply. If I need to donate air it's the octo.

I did try a longer hose system (5ft) and did a couple of solo dives and found it more awkward so went back to my system as above. The octo donation short hose system I believe is more hygienic for practice purposes as the quick rinse time for the mouthpiece in the primary donate system may not rinse away mouth organisms.

My other thought is this. Years ago my mouthpiece came off my reg unbeknownst to me, I breathed in water and got distressed and my reflex reaction was to grab my buddy's octo, and not her primary reg in her mouth, which suggests to me that it's more natural to share the octo rather than primary.

I have dive buddies who use the DIR long hose system and we seem to get along just fine.
Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom