Airlines to Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a exit row seat last time. Can't remember if I paid extra for it but if I paid, it must of been cheep. But I was able to stretch out and sleep and I am over 6'3". Garuda had a nice new plane so as comfortable as you are going to get on an airplane without paying for Biz class. And being all wacked out with a 14 hour time change, I slept for most of the flight. Bring a hoodie or a jacket, the A/C is always cranked to the max.

I have flown to Sorong years ago, which was supposed to have only one stop, but we had 2. This is Indonesia they just changed the itinerary without telling any clients. One was in Makassar to refuel and then Ambon before flying to Sorong. I don't know who wants to go through extra security checks and wait for the next flight.

You are already traveling half way around the world to a dream destination. Make it as easy as possible.

I'm flying on Batik Air from Jakarta to Sarong. I'll be carrying on underwater photo gear. Any idea how strict they are about weight and size of carryon? Can you pay for extra weight? Do they really measure bags? Thanks!

I'm flying on Batik Air from Jakarta to Sarong. I'll be carrying on underwater photo gear. Any idea how strict they are about weight and size of carryon? Can you pay for extra weight? Do they really measure bags? Thanks!

I carried a 10kg backpack and a 10kg carryon bag about 50% larger than the backpack on my last Batik flight in September, two months ago. They were not strict. They didn’t weigh the carryon bags. They just looked at them They let me through without paying the extra weight. All they asked me was to let them strapped a yellow carryon tag around the handle.

I’ll be back in January 2020, taking Batik Air from Jakarta to Sorong carrying the same setup.

I’ve taken Batik air many times. I have only ever escaped them weighing my cabin bags once. I have a 7kg backpack and a 16kg camera rollerboard every time I fly. Each time they weighed my photo bag, they were shocked. As soon as I placed the bag on the scale I unzipped to show them what it was. Each time they gave me a tag and let me go. Sometimes they would write something on the tag, sometimes not. I’ve been stopped at the gate 1-2X after check in and they would want to weigh again or suggested I check in due to overhead bin size. As soon as I showed them again, no issues. The time we had small overhead bin space, I stuck my backpack into the overhead and stuck my ThinkTank International 3 under the seat instead. That’s the beauty about having an international sized 19” roller. No issues. :)

As long as your carry on fits in overhead, you should be fine. The weight, just show them your gear, it should be fine too. Get on the plane as early as you can and put both bags up in the overhead compartment. Then you have leg room too.

Hi all
We will fly to sorong in december with garuda from jakarta and stay before the flight during the day in an airporthotel in jakarta.
Will we do the garuda check in just after the arrival in jakarta or after staying in the airporthotel ?
Thanks

Hi all
We will fly to sorong in december with garuda from jakarta and stay before the flight during the day in an airporthotel in jakarta.
Will we do the garuda check in just after the arrival in jakarta or after staying in the airporthotel ?
Thanks

Can you check in on line?

Hi all
Thanks

it sounds like you have quite some time between arriving in Jakarta and leaving for Sorong if you have time to spend at an airport hotel during the day. If so, you would check in after staying at the hotel as it will be too early to do it before you go. Check in counters for flights generally don’t accept baggage too early. Garuda is probably a bit earlier than others. I also find it’s nice if you want to access your checked bag for a change of clothing, toiletries, etc., while at the hotel anyway.

I generally love doing online check ins for domestic flights at home so you can either skip the bag line if you don’t have checked bags or do the bag drop which usually has a shorter line but in my experience, there is often not a separate line for those that have done an online check in so it doesn’t make a difference outside of picking a seat if you don’t have one already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom