Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Criticizing someone for not knowing the alleged difference between the Nobel Prize and the Nobel Memorial Prize is not unlike nitpicking at Alec’s perceived inaccuracies in describing the long hose setup.
If only that were true. You see, Alec is a claimed expert on scuba diving. I am not a claimed expert on awards. See the difference?

I admit, I'm a bit of a fan of Alec. I find his videos informative, funny, and strangely calming. I am not a technical diver, and don't have any practical experience with the long hose setup, although understand the reasoning behind it and the mechanics of application.

Alec makes a few very simple points in this video: 1) donating long hose primary has more steps to it; 2) it requires actions by both divers in all cases, when the regular octo can in theory be deployed by the recipient with no action from the donor; 3) it is known to and practiced by a very small fraction of total diver population.

I don't think any of these points are just his opinions. They are pretty much hard facts. Sure, he didn't spend too much time highlighting the benefits of the long hose, such as simplifying the single-file exit from a cave, but he very clearly stated that if one is likely to find oneself in that situation - one should get proper training and the long hose may very well be one's best option. What is wrong with that?

I'm puzzled (yet entertained!) by the critique of this second video, as it is not nearly as controversial as the first one.
I agree with you that his main point is understandable.

If you focus on his main point (and forget the minor details) I think it is a valid point.

I think he should have just focused on this main point though, although I agree that this video is so much better than the first one.

Just unbelievable. From wrapping around your neck to not donating the primary which the second largest agency SSI does teach. I'm assuming that Alec is a PADI guy who has never ventured outside its bubble (though I do believe PADI published an article a couple years ago about also donating the primary - Alec not keep up?). Also surprised with all his experience he's never heard of OOG divers ripping people's primaries out of their mouths.

I was taking my gear off next to a couple at a dive site in a spot I won't mention. They both had the most expensive ScubaPro BCDs on the planet. Long hoses, etc. all of it looked brand new. Both of the divers had their primary long hosed regulator hoses wrapped around their neck. I've been diving with people that run long hoses and I'm considering the switch myself and that was the first time I've ever seen the around the neck option in use. Wow. I couldn't possibly imagine what could go wrong in an attempted primary donate scenario or heaven forbid a panicked diver snatching it from their mouth.

I was taking my gear off next to a couple at a dive site in a spot I won't mention. They both had the most expensive ScubaPro BCDs on the planet. Long hoses, etc. all of it looked brand new. Both of the divers had their primary long hosed regulator hoses wrapped around their neck. I've been diving with people that run long hoses and I'm considering the switch myself and that was the first time I've ever seen the around the neck option in use. Wow. I couldn't possibly imagine what could go wrong in an attempted primary donate scenario or heaven forbid a panicked diver snatching it from their mouth.
Jacket style BCDs?

I readily believe that Alec knows more about scuba diving that you do about the awards, so yes.
I sure hope so. Hence the surprise as to him getting things wrong, especially as this was his second attempt of this video.

and since most and will never rise to the level of the tech gods we all so revere for diving so pristinely and perfectly and safely

That’s a heavy looking stereotype you keep flogging.

Back
Top Bottom