Let the Us State Department know where you will be if outside the US

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shmuggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have seen a lot of good recommendations on this forum after bad stuff happens and will implement most of them. I would also like to add these two:
1. Go to the US State Department web site and advise where you will be and when you are going. I don't know if this will mean more help for you but it can't hurt. If anyone knows any thing about this- would love to hear from yu.

2. Keep a separate copy of your passport. Maybe even laminate the important pages. Same for your drivers license. Put it in your "go bag" by the bed if the boat keeps the original in a safe for you. On the plane- have one in your carry-on in case something bad happens to your purse. I think it will be better than nothing.

Yes, the STEP program. You get e-mails and notifications of anything happening in the country or region you are in that might affect you. The last few notices I've received were measles outbreaks, political instability, etc.

Not only that, but leave a spare copy of your passport with friends/family while you are away and as @DandyDon mentioned, carry a spare passport photo because you can get a passport very quickly that way and not worry about having to find a passport photo place who will photo your head/face and print and cut according to US dimensions.

I also have a photo of my important docs and stuff saved on the cloud. :)

If you have a PLB like Rescue me you need to update your location...oops and when you get back update it again...(I'm still in Roatan..not)

Yes, the STEP program. You get e-mails and notifications of anything happening in the country or region you are in that might affect you. The last few notices I've received were measles outbreaks, political instability, etc.
Or, you could decide that knowing too much would make you lose your nerve, and opt not to do this. Adventurers in the past managed without this kind of information.:rofl3:

Unless you are going to Cuba.

My wife and I opted for a passport and the passport card. We can walk around with the passport card while the passport stays in the safe.

Why would I want the Mother land knowing where I am? I’ve traveled the world up, down and sideways and never ever informed my intentions....I don’t understand why one would? Do your homework before you leave and then just enjoy your holiday.

A copy of ones passport is all that’s needed. Or take pic with your phone. All my dive cards on on my phone and has been accepted in numerous locations.

Aren’t Americans always saying that the government is bad: stealing your hard earned money, spying and controlling. ;-)

Why would I want the Mother land knowing where I am? I’ve traveled the world up, down and sideways and never ever informed my intentions....I don’t understand why one would?

The rationale is that if you are, say, SCUBA diving in Paraguay, and there's suddenly a revolution or an earthquake or something, the State Department will know that you're one of the people who they need to evacuate. Or, if you go missing, and your relatives call the government and express concern, they'll know where to start looking.

(That was a joke. Paraguay is one of a handful of landlocked nations that has no coastline, and there's no place to SCUBA dive. But you get the idea)

The foreign service still does help travelers abroad who run into problems, though perhaps not to the degree that was once the case. I suppose it makes sense to notify them if residing abroad or for shorter stays in an area prone to flare ups. In the past when I traveled internationally for work my employers had worldwide security coverage and I would certainly rely on them before relying on the government. Today I'd rely on friends. In either case they can call the G if a situation should arise where it would help.

Back
Top Bottom