Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep my shears in a sheath on my right side. My long hose fits perfectly under the sheath. I have seen other divers simply tuck the hose under the harness on the right side.. I haven't had a canister light in 15 years, yet never have my hose come loose.
Ah yes, I was referring more to with a jacket style BCD. If there's a way to mount a knife/scissors/something to secure the hose on the right said, then they are good to go. I just don't think tucking will work well on a number of jacket style BCDs

It’s perplexing to me that anything other than a jacket style BC and 30 inch hoses with yellow octo hanging in the triangle are considered too advanced for new divers. If you teach about the variety of gear configurations out there you have a beginning diver who can choose what works for them.

*edit* After all, a new diver doesn’t know that a long hose is supposed to be more advanced, or that it’s possible to start diving horizontally from confined water class number one. It’s the instructor/shop owner/training organization that sets the most expectations. Maybe the internet somewhat also.

If the instructor is able to, and brings in different gear, such as Air2s, 40 inch hoses, bungied back ups, sidemount, steel tanks, long hoses, jackets and wings, DIN fittings etc, the student is at least exposed to this gear and will have a place to start if they should wind up diving with someone not sporting a jacket style and 28 or 30 inch hoses and yellow octo in the triangle.

There’s been some posts about there being a standard gear set up for beginning recreational divers, which almost has an entrenched feel to it. Kind of like claiming that DIR or tech is entrenched in the long hose.

When I started OW/AOW diving in 1998 the long hose was still in the cave diving world. When I first saw a photo of a harness and wing in 2002 I thought, interesting, maybe it will be a better fit for me rather than my jacket which kept riding up and compressing my torso when fully inflated at the surface. And for me, that was true when I got my hands on one later that year. Thank you Walt Stark III in Bonaire for renting me a piece of equipment so I could try before buying.

I’m continually learning 18 years later. And I think a good instructor and/or store owner should generate this type of atmosphere in their classes.

I was doing pool work a short time ago, there was a OW class also there. I asked the instructor if he wanted to show them my config as it becoming a little more common now and they might see it after certification. He said no it would just confuse them.

I think that OW should include these are the options and what you might see, but I'm no expert just a rec diver.

Is it beyond comprehension that an OW student does the class using a modified frog kick and helicopter kick the whole time (by her own choosing)? Raise the bar for skills! Raise the bar for knowledge!

Is it beyond comprehension that an OW student does the class using a modified frog kick and helicopter kick the whole time (by her own choosing)? Raise the bar for skills! Raise the bar for knowledge!
I teach regular/modified frog kicks for OW. I won't do backfinning/helicopter turns unless I get a natural. I try to be cognizant of interference theory.

Yes, I can see that working. While I have a ways before training my daughter, I wonder whether training my wife is a good idea. When I was a ski patroller and we saw couples where one was teaching the other, we called them DIPs (Divorce in Progress). There was invariably a lot of yelling in frustration by both sides.

Just take a lot of insurance out on your wife, if things don't work out at least you'll have something to show for it.

One other thing about the second video that’s up now. Mr Pierce focuses a lot on how after donating the long hose and before putting the bungied backup reg in your mouth, you momentarily have no regulator in your mouth. This is seen as a hurdle for an OW diver.

Yet, right in early OW confined water sessions you learn how to do a regulator recovery. During which you have no regulator in your mouth.

Back
Top Bottom