So who's the top predator? Ya think so, do ya?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

notice she's tethered and in chainmail - that's so they can't drag her down before ripping her apart.

I'll take a huge grouper encounter any day,

Here is another link:
orca kills a great white shark - Bing video

I have witnessed the aftermath of a marlin v. shark. We were fishing off of Cabo San Lucas. We heard over VHF that a marlin had killed a shark. The boat was close aboard to our vessel. We altered course to hopefully catch a glimpse. We saw the marlin trying to dislodge his bill from the shark. It did and swam off. Leaving the dyeing shark behind.

A healthy marlin has no known predators in the ocean. They are too fast. Big marlin can eat rather large tunas (and sharks?). As far as I know, the only other fish that does not have a predator capable of catching it is the Wahoo, again, way too fast.

So who is the apex predator of oceans? I don't think it is the shark.

thanks for the thread,
mark

It’s us. We are.

Here is another link:
orca kills a great white shark - Bing video

I have witnessed the aftermath of a marlin v. shark. We were fishing off of Cabo San Lucas. We heard over VHF that a marlin had killed a shark. The boat was close aboard to our vessel. We altered course to hopefully catch a glimpse. We saw the marlin trying to dislodge his bill from the shark. It did and swam off. Leaving the dyeing shark behind.

A healthy marlin has no known predators in the ocean. They are too fast. Big marlin can eat rather large tunas (and sharks?). As far as I know, the only other fish that does not have a predator capable of catching it is the Wahoo, again, way too fast.

So who is the apex predator of oceans? I don't think it is the shark.

thanks for the thread,
mark

Great documentary video. Not only California and New Zealand Orcas know how to hunt the sharks and rays by ramming and flipping the preys upside down to induce the tonic immobility and suffocate them, but also those Orcas in South Africa too. Those Orcas love to eat the Great White Shark liver as their delicacy diet.

Back
Top Bottom