Alec Pierce Scuba - Long Hose Good or Bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@wetb4igetinthewater mentioned a diver should not be afraid of not having a reg in their mouth for 5 seconds or reconsider diving as a hobby, I suggested 30. It is not about the time it takes to execute a simple procedure, but how long one knows they can function without air, if and when an air share, or anything else, goes south...

Sure, and I believe that since I brought up the 2 divers without a reg in their mouth to the instructor, they wanted to ensure that I didn't have any issues not having a reg in my mouth, which I didn't. They saw me waiting patiently without the reg in my mouth repeatedly before switching, and I was no longer told to slow down after the first set of s-drills.

My story though, was to illustrate that someone can switch as efficiently as they choose, negating the "2 divers with regs out of their mouth" argument.

consider the sheer horror of OW classes taught in dry suites.... Is that concept too advanced???????

Bob...

You have to qualify that...if it was my dry-suit...OW/with DS would be no problem at all...with dry-suits where there is enough over-bulk for the diver and two small elephants...and you need 40 pounds of ballast to sink it...you're right...it would be a challenge...

I'm sure it's been done...many times...as some international ''northern'' areas are not conducive at all to wet suits...regardless of time of year...

I recently sold two rebreathers...both feather-weights...with my dry-suit...I never went into the water with more than 24 pounds of ballast with either one...I understand the new owner of my units...wearing a two piece 7mm wet suit needs 50 pounds of ballast to get neutral...pretty much defeats the purpose of diving with a rebreather...

Back in the early days...peak performance buoyancy was a prime objective with me...as was diving full time with a dry suit...unfortunately...some people never seem to master dry suits...or PPB...and prefer lots of lead instead...I dove recreational doubles for years...had two sets...HP steel 80's...HP steel 100's...went for years without ever owning any ballast...and at the same time...on charters...I watched other divers...with dry-suits...and heavy doubles...jumping into the water with 40 pounds of ballast...on a friggin weight belt...which to me...made a bad situation worse...

You need to learn...what you need to know...or you can do it the hard way...and it's hard enough doing it the right way...

W.W...

@wetb4igetinthewater
Some have the discipline to wait, others panic. It all depends on how long they can think clearly with a reg out of their mouth. It's a skill that is no longer considered important.

Or a skill that is no longer taught, and if it is taught it's not done very well.

... im sure there a reason hes not on here ......

Not posting on here right now, you mean. :wink: You and I know he used to be on SB a fair bit back in the day. The last couple of years, he only posted about vintage or buying or selling gear - the last being 6 months ago.

he bungied reg was a left hander, on another under the arm hose. So it would be possible to donate/share either one.

I thought it was a really good idea.
That's the way my OW BP/W rig is configured. Both 40" hoses with 90 degree swivels, both have the make/brand of 2nd. I prefer to donate the left hand reg, because they can swim by my side if need be, or if I have control then there is no "S" loop

I try to stay away from LH discussions, as I feel it's unnecessary for OW - and in some conditions like strong currents, its a liability.

But if people want to spend their money on unnecessary kit, its up to them

Yes.
I am seriously considering changing my set up this way after seeing his. But it would mean a complete change not just a hose swap as one of my regs is RH only AFAIK.

Yes.
I am seriously considering changing my set up this way after seeing his. But it would mean a complete change not just a hose swap as one of my regs is RH only AFAIK.
Oh I shoul dhave made it clear.

Both of my regs are RH

If the diver is by my side Gas sharing) , then they'll be on my left so hose routing is perfect. If I donate my LH reg to a diver in front of me, then the hose is the correct side for them (no hose crossing nonsense). If they want to steal the reg out of my mouth, then that's cool too. Although to be fair, since I'm on on a scooter a lot of the time, they'd need to be a damn fast swimmer to pounce on me

If Alec was as bad a person as some of the people here have said, it seems like he'd have done something mean in response to the slander that some of the posters on SB have spewed against him personally (and then there are the SB people who have gone over to YouTube to pour it on). There are some folks here who are ripe for a slander suit. Here's hoping he really isn't a nice guy...

Pauldw, You seem to have changed your logo to a screen shot of Alec from the video?? Why?
500046.jpg

In a vertical orientation. That is to say, not in a horizontal dive orientation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom