Car ferry preferences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer Ultramar, as there is a single car deck, more or less at dock level. Transcaribe is a narrower, taller ship with two decks, and visibility is not good, especially when going down the ramp between decks.

Depending on where you're going in Tulum, you might consider leaving the card on the island, taking the passenger ferry to PDC, and then ADO Bus to Tulum. The bus stops at the entrance to the ruins, and downtown. This also has the advantage of more frequent (more convenient?) ferry service, versus the 6x/day for the car ferries.

As others said, do be sure you have suitable insurance. The driving in Yucatan is fairly safe and the roads in this area are good, but you never know.
Here's a fun fact. I drove my own car there about two years ago and noticed a driving practice that was new to me. If you see a car barrelling down the center of the highway coming at you, you are supposed to pull over to the side so s/he can get through. Just because they feel like passing something in front of them. Happened south of Tulum where roads are narrower... Rattled the heck out of me the first time it happened. By the 8th or 10th time, I started to expect it.

“You’re a rotten driver,” I protested. “Either you ought to be more careful, or you oughtn’t to drive at all.”

“I am careful.”

“No, you’re not.”

“Well, other people are,” she said lightly.

“What’s that got to do with it?”

“They’ll keep out of my way,” she insisted. “It takes two to make an accident.”

“Suppose you met somebody just as careless as yourself.”

“I hope I never will,” she answered. “I hate careless people. That’s why I like you.”

As mentioned, Ultramar is cheaper, newer and more comfortable. They also sell beer/alcohol.

About the only plus for Transcaribe is the big screen TVs playing movies during the trip.

Unfortunately, who you ride with is gonna be dependent on what departure time works for you. I've used them both a lot and we end up on Transcaribe most of the time because their departure times are usually the most convenient for us.

Horarios | Transcaribe Conecta

Ultramar Carga

We do the car ferry sometimes when going to Cancun or shopping in playa but it’s real inconvenient. Slow crossing, only a handful a day - gotta be a great reason otherwise just take the passenger ferry.

Car rentals are right there in playa but taxis or ados work just as well - people ferry every hour, fast crossing - very little wasted time

We do the car ferry sometimes when going to Cancun or shopping in playa but it’s real inconvenient. Slow crossing, only a handful a day - gotta be a great reason otherwise just take the passenger ferry.

Car rentals are right there in playa but taxis or ados work just as well - people ferry every hour, fast crossing - very little wasted time
The car ferry is a good deal for people like us who fly into/out of CUN, plan to spend a lot of time in Coz and want a cheap rental car.

Car rental prices are almost 2X more in Cozumel.

Reactions: BRT
Car rental prices are almost 2X more in Cozumel.

we got a car on Coz for ten days for $25 us total. that is not a typo haha

Ric Please write about any issues you may have when you get back. We often see those rates and wonder if they honor, or have other issues associated with rental.

and I can get a car for $2/day in Playa if I want to use someone like Fox and spend time fighting with them about my credit card insurance coverage.

I'm talking about renting from an established rental company that doesn't have a history of bait/switch tactics and includes full coverage in their quote.

In Cancun/Playa, that's America Car Rental and a fully covered VW Gol is $23/day.

In Cozumel, that's Isis and a fully covered VW Gol is $45/day.

Ric Please write about any issues you may have when you get back. We often see those rates and wonder if they honor, or have other issues associated with rental.

this was a previous trip. no issues at all.
but i want to be clear.....i am not suggesting this is normal practice for most travelers. i only made the comment here as we thought it was hilarious that any company would rent us a car for a couple of bucks per day.
we are fully covered in mexico with our own insurance and i carry the docs with me to prove that. liability is the only insurance we would have to buy separately if we chose to. in this case the "minimum" mexican liability insurance was included in the price. i believe that is 750,000 mxn.
it was booked through expedia and the rental company was alamo i think.
car was fine. staff was great. they even gave us a ride to the ferry when it was time to head across to playa.
we took the usual precautions as we have with every other car rental in my life. we took pics and video when we picked it up and took pics and video when we dropped it off.
this is def not something i would recommend evryone do, but it is what we chose to do and it was fine.
buyer beware. make sure you know what you are paying for and understand the risks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom