Just Certified, intro-level setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My two cents...
First of all, for cold water, you need a good diving suit. This is a truly personal item, I would not recommend to ever rent it. You need to choose between a hemi-sealed neoprene-foam suit, or a truly-sealed ("dry") suit.
The second needs to be inflated with air and this is something you have to learn (and possibly be certified for).
I did make some under-the-ice diving when young, but I always used an hemi-sealed neoprene-foam suit, I always avoided the complexity and loss of mobility (and water penetration) caused by a dry suit. Of course it also depends on depth and diving time, my under-the-ice dives were all quite short (15-20 minutes). For professional divers staying hours underwater a dry suit with proper thermally-insulating undersuit is a must!
Regarding regulators, my opinion is that in cold water nothing surpasses vintage Scubapro regulators, with an all-metal second stage, such as 109 and 156 models (I have a total of 6 of them, and they can be serviced with modern parts, and converted to fully-balanced, keeping them at the state of the art). Plastic regulators are more easy to freeze...
At first stage I have 4 Scubapro MK5 and one MK15. All of them are quipped with what was called, at the time, the "antifreeze" mod, consisting in a flooded chamber with thin holes and saturated with thermally insulating grease. Never had problems, even under 1m of ice...
The trick, indeed is NOT to use an Octopus (a single first stage with two second stages). In cold waters (but, I think, everywhere) it is much more reliable to mount two separate first stages on the air bottle, each feeding its own second stage.
Regarding BCD, I also recommend a rear-inflation system, not a bulky full-chest BCD. However, I find that a metal backplate, with fixed harnesses and a wing, is also a very bulky and heavy setup: again, it is fine for professional divers, but for an occasional recreational diver I think it is more appropriate a light rear BCD, such as the Cressi Scorpion, or, even better, the ultralight and cheap Scubapro Litehawk:
https://ww2.scubapro.com/en-GB/SWE/bcs/products/litehawk.aspx
Due to the limited buoyancy of these devices, you must be careful in choosing the proper amount of weights, but the end result will be a very streamlined asset, with very good mobility and less friction, allowing you to swim faster and with less effort: those are important safety features, I never recommend to get overloaded with bulky equipment which impedes to move easily and with small friction in the water.
Finally the Cressi Leonardo computer is just fine. I have two of them (me and my wife) and they are simple reliable, and very cheap (99 eur on Amazon on Prime Friday)... Again, pro divers will not use it, favoring more expensive and complex units. But I favor simplicity and ease of use, and for these the Leonardo is unbeatable, as you have to do nothing with its controls while diving, just have a look at the display, as it does everything automatically and always shows you everything you need to know. And it manages also Nitrox, not just air...

My two cents...
First of all, for cold water, you need a good diving suit. This is a truly personal item, I would not recommend to ever rent it. You need to choose between a hemi-sealed neoprene-foam suit, or a truly-sealed ("dry") suit.
The second needs to be inflated with air and this is something you have to learn (and possibly be certified for).
I did make some under-the-ice diving when young, but I always used an hemi-sealed neoprene-foam suit, I always avoided the complexity and loss of mobility (and water penetration) caused by a dry suit. Of course it also depends on depth and diving time, my under-the-ice dives were all quite short (15-20 minutes). For professional divers staying hours underwater a dry suit with proper thermally-insulating undersuit is a must!
Regarding regulators, my opinion is that in cold water nothing surpasses vintage Scubapro regulators, with an all-metal second stage, such as 109 and 156 models (I have a total of 6 of them, and they can be serviced with modern parts, and converted to fully-balanced, keeping them at the state of the art). Plastic regulators are more easy to freeze...
At first stage I have 4 Scubapro MK5 and one MK15. All of them are quipped with what was called, at the time, the "antifreeze" mod, consisting in a flooded chamber with thin holes and saturated with thermally insulating grease. Never had problems, even under 1m of ice...
The trick, indeed is NOT to use an Octopus (a single first stage with two second stages). In cold waters (but, I think, everywhere) it is much more reliable to mount two separate first stages on the air bottle, each feeding its own second stage.
Regarding BCD, I also recommend a rear-inflation system, not a bulky full-chest BCD. However, I find that a metal backplate, with fixed harnesses and a wing, is also a very bulky and heavy setup: again, it is fine for professional divers, but for an occasional recreational diver I think it is more appropriate a light rear BCD, such as the Cressi Scorpion, or, even better, the ultralight and cheap Scubapro Litehawk:
https://ww2.scubapro.com/en-GB/SWE/bcs/products/litehawk.aspx
Due to the limited buoyancy of these devices, you must be careful in choosing the proper amount of weights, but the end result will be a very streamlined asset, with very good mobility and less friction, allowing you to swim faster and with less effort: those are important safety features, I never recommend to get overloaded with bulky equipment which impedes to move easily and with small friction in the water.
Finally the Cressi Leonardo computer is just fine. I have two of them (me and my wife) and they are simple reliable, and very cheap (99 eur on Amazon on Prime Friday)... Again, pro divers will not use it, favoring more expensive and complex units. But I favor simplicity and ease of use, and for these the Leonardo is unbeatable, as you have to do nothing with its controls while diving, just have a look at the display, as it does everything automatically and always shows you everything you need to know. And it manages also Nitrox, not just air...

This is really good info, thanks! I already have the Cressi Leonardo, I figured that it would be a good starter dive computer and if I ever need to get something more complex it can be used as a back-up. Ice diving sounds way out of my wheelhouse, I probably won't do any diving in temps under 45ish degrees F. I'm definitely going to buy my own wetsuit for the time being, either a 7mm single piece or a 7mm farmer john style suit. It just doesn't make sense for me to keep renting a wetsuit when I can recoup the cost of my own suit with just a few dive days. Maybe a dry suit is in the future for me, but I should keep it simple until I have a lot more dives under my belt.

I already have the Cressi Leonardo, I figured that it would be a good starter dive computer and if I ever need to get something more complex it can be used as a back-up.

It is. Ignore the SB nonsense that you need a high end computer right off the bat. I started with a Leonardo and still have it, occasionally using it as a back up or loaning it to people who are in need.

Certainly I'd agree that in yoru case, exposure protection is the most important piece of gear. It doesn't matter what else you have and how fancy or expensive that gear is, if you're uncomfortable underwater it's not going to be pleasurable and you're not going to carry on.

Get the best exposure protection you can afford right now, which meets your needs and comfort. Again if you're not having fun it can be hard to want to continue

We're in the northeast and bought two sets of the Aqualung Rogue BCD customizable back inflate (in store purchase only), Atomic ST1 and B2 Octo, Tusa compass and analog pressure gauge, Oceanic Geo 4.0 (has bluetooth). Downloading the dives to DiveLog DT on the iPhone and iPads are super easy. My boys have done 16 cold water dives in the local quarries so far and everything works splendidly!

Update: I went to a few dive shops and I found some used gear that seems pretty solid, definitely better than what I was looking at originally.

Aqualung Balance back inflate BCD
Aqualung Titan LX regulator with Suunto dive console.

Definitely going to get a wet suit, I want to get comfortable with conventional equipment before adding more complexity to my gear.

It's like buying shoes for kids. Buy something you can grow into. You'll be like like a privileged rich kid for a bit but then you have to earn it.

I bought a Hydros Pro for my OW certification. I'd like to think I'm still earning it.

Update: I went to a few dive shops and I found some used gear that seems pretty solid, definitely better than what I was looking at originally.

Aqualung Balance back inflate BCD
Aqualung Titan LX regulator with Suunto dive console.

Definitely going to get a wet suit, I want to get comfortable with conventional equipment before adding more complexity to my gear.
There's Hoodsport N Dive on the Hood Canal. I have no idea as to how good their instruction/equipment are, but I'd suggest taking a dry suit course if that is the most convenient location for you. Especially now in winter. But I am a wimp when it comes to temperature. I know only a couple people who dive in wetsuits around here year round.

It's like buying shoes for kids. Buy something you can grow into. You'll be like like a privileged rich kid for a bit but then you have to earn it.

I bought a Hydros Pro for my OW certification. I'd like to think I'm still earning it.

I'm working on earning my halycon.

Before buying a BCD, if you have any way to do it, try out a BP/W if you can.

I was dead set on buying a jacket style BCD after my first "real" dive after getting certified, but decided to step back and do more research and found a local shop that let me try out a BP/W. Within like 10 seconds of being in the water, I knew it was what I wanted to buy.

Before buying a BCD, if you have any way to do it, try out a BP/W if you can.

I was dead set on buying a jacket style BCD after my first "real" dive after getting certified, but decided to step back and do more research and found a local shop that let me try out a BP/W. Within like 10 seconds of being in the water, I knew it was what I wanted to buy.

That's my plan, the dive shop is going to let me try out that used setup in the pool, so I can decide which style BCD I prefer.

Back
Top Bottom