3 divers missing off of Java

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what is your estimate of how far their effective signal would reach?

Looks like Dan got that answer covered. But the other thing to consider is where are you diving. For instance I have never seen a boat here (HI) that has the receiver for the AIS, or at least that I have had described to me by a Captain or on the boats that I am deck hand....

This thread has even more info (and I think is mentioned above too)

PLBs Can Save Your Life

Good to know, many thanks.
It would be a lot further to an airplane with a receiver.

It would be a lot further to an airplane with a receiver.

But without the waves in-between, the "up to 34 miles" is more likely to apply.

But without the waves in-between, the "up to 34 miles" is more likely to apply.
I don't know if they have those receivers in rescue aircraft. A 60 mile wide pass would cover a lot of ocean in a hurry.

I think aircrafts use different VHF radio frequency.

Airband - Wikipedia

May be @fsardone can shine some light on what SAR aircraft is using for monitoring / listening to VHF radio emergency alert.

I bought a Nautilus Lifeline for $170. Has a user-replaceable battery, and can be reused to your heart's content. Sends a beacon to any ship within 30 miles, anywhere in the world.

When I mention that I carry one on liveaboards in areas with current, most people's reaction is "I'll stay close to you then."
Did you buy it recently for $170? If so where?

Families join search for Singaporean, 2 Chinese divers; search area expanded

Apparently this site is known for down current.

“On Sept 8 last year, Mr James Ade Ignatius Salaka, 32, a North Jakarta resident diving off Sangiang island, was pulled away from his group by an unexpectedly strong undercurrent. He was later found dead. There were also fatal incidents of divers being drifted by undercurrents about five years ago and before that, according to Basarnas.”

3D8F5BC8-2D9A-4CBF-B463-30D1F0860804.jpeg

Did you buy it recently for $170? If so where?

I bought it on the Nautilus Belle Amie. The owner of the ship designed the device, and he sells them onboard for $170, including a baseball cap or t-shirt. What sold me on it was that a diver on the boat had bought one on a previous trip, then gone diving in an area with strong currents, and had lost sight of the boat. He activated the device and within 10 minutes had a couple of boats heading towards him in response. He said he never dove without it. I’m happy to have it. I’m increasingly diving from liveaboards and it seems like a good way to reconnect with my own boat, if nothing else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom