Cabo Pulmo - photography - strobes not allowed?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm taking a group down to Cabo Pulmo in December and have just been informed that strobes (and I would presume video lights as well) are not allowed in the Cabo Pulmo Marine Park. I can't find anything about this prohibition on their official rules & regulations site. Anyone have any recent/contemporary info/experience with this? Thanks.

- Ken

I'm sorry, don't know anything about the strobes. I'm just wanting to ensure that you and your group are aware of the Mexican Customs new practice of charging fees/taxes on anything that they deem to be professional camera equipment.

I know that lights aren't allowed in Socorro but I've never heard that about Cabo Pulmo. @kumimonster might be able to help.

We dove (dived?) Cabo Pulmo last November. I have a Sealife DC1400 with the standard Sea Dragon flash, and used it on both dives.

Our dive shop asked us to declare in advance whether we would be using a camera, including the type; and apparently transmitted this information via a letter to someone 24 hours before we got there.

Sorry I can't provide any more detail than that.

@Ken Kurtis

My acquaintance has left the operation, but I heard back from the new dive ops manager:
The lights and strobes are not forbidden but you need a document to take pictures

Sorry, not a complete answer, consistent with the post by @ibj40. I'm sure you already have a message into your operator regarding this question. Let us know what you find out.

I'm sorry, don't know anything about the strobes. I'm just wanting to ensure that you and your group are aware of the Mexican Customs new practice of charging fees/taxes on anything that they deem to be professional camera equipment.
Yes, quite aware. Thanks.

I've never been told anything about my lights. Hmm. I don't have a big fancy camera. Just a TG 5 set on a tray. I have a couple of Sola Lights on there, one of which is a video light. But I've never been asked about my equipment or been told of any restrictions to them. But again, I don't have a big fancy set up.

Jan. 2018. Used camera and video light - no mention that they were prohibited by either the group that took me there or the actual op that took us out for the dives.

Back
Top Bottom