SideMount Setup Fine Tuning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pic looks nice. That’s a great place to start. I could put your cylinders on and go without a problem.
My rig was pretty close, then I went and trained with full timers. There way was better, and everything had a reason behind it. And checked all the boxes.

Show me your rig, and I’ll tell you about the bungie setup.

And yes, this is the preferred way to dive sm by most people who have a clue about what their doing. Many do not, so you see all kinds of crazy things.

is that a 5’ hose, or 7’, long hose is the only way to go, I tried a 5’ but found it annoyingly hard to keep tucked and looking nice. So 7’ is nice, works great, no downside.

I'm looking at your original pics. Bungies on the upper dring, would make it unnecessarily more difficult to get in your rig. Move the bungies and quick links down to the chest strap level. It won't effect your cylinder position and will be easier to get in your gear.

If you need a hard connection to walk or jump in, then having a removal double ended is a good idea. You can take it off after getting in. But leaving it on limits the cylinders movement for me. On my rb b.o. cylinders I have a handle and snap. In case I have to hand them off. But otherwise don’t use them.

Others have said the same. I like the stability of the cylinder with it on, especially when shorediving in case a bungee was to fail and if it’s an Xdeep boltsnap it is easy to work when needed. Also vey useful for leaving a tank tethered underwater for later retrieval.

potato/potAto..

Excellent, I'm very grateful we have a bit of consensus!! I'm very grateful for the time, wisdom, expertise, and efforts...you all are very much amazing!! Helping a total stranger is proof you all are awesome :)

I'm looking at your original pics. Bungies on the upper dring, would make it unnecessarily more difficult to get in your rig. Move the bungies and quick links down to the chest strap level. It won't effect your cylinder position and will be easier to get in your gear.

Ok, I will try to see how it goes on some dives tomorrow...I'm a little unsure about wrapping the bungee that far around the valve...but we will see. Also, I will see about lowering the top d-ring a bit...

Others have said the same. I like the stability of the cylinder with it on, especially when shorediving in case a bungee was to fail and if it’s an Xdeep boltsnap it is easy to work when needed. Also vey useful for leaving a tank tethered underwater for later retrieval.

potato/potAto..

I may add a choker at some point...that I can use if a bungee breaks...and to clip off 2nd stages on land, staging, or handing off.

I did not think a 7' long house was necessary as I'm only doing open water here...no penetrating at all. I used a 7' on my tec rig and it was great...hmmm... I will see if I can take this 5'-er...if not, then 7' it is...may need shorter lp hoses on my inflators, too....tweak, test, tweak, test...reapeat... :)

Alright, quick poll....

Do I ditch all the plastic tank boots?

They are a bit positively buoyant so....

Do I ditch all the plastic tank boots?
I take mine off just before I dive, I have a split in them so it's easy to get them off. Round bottom tanks are a pain in the arse to set up, fill etc without the boots.

Oh your tanks are aluminium? If so, take the boots off then and leave them off :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom