Heliox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tried heliox diving, regulator and bottle from seam had both small leaks, had to abort. Worked without leaks with air. So I think heliox diving needs smaller tolerances and special orings? Gonna try again in a week, before I give up.

Same gear you use for air should be sufficient for heliox.
So I thought too, but gas was forming small bubbles from neck of the bottle and from din valve. Was using it on JJ.

So you had the leak , then put the reg back on another cylinder, and the leak did not occur?

Not an expert, but sounds way more likely you had a bad seat on an boring, or an o-ring that may be close to replacement.

Leak when heliox bottle on JJ regulator from din valve between regular and bottle and also from neck of them bottle. Different bottle to same regulator containing air no leaks.
Put heliox bottle again to regulator and again leaks.

Ok put new oring and used lubricant to it and now It didn't leak. Diving at 4c was colder that with Trimix, breathing gas felt really cold. Breathing was easier than on surface, gas was so light! Did dive to 34 meters and my buddy with Trimix 19/24 had 4 mins deco and I had with 24/76 16 minutes. 1.2 setpoint and GF45/80. Felt same as always after dive.

If you spend time running the numbers through a deco program you might find a reduced decompression obligation when using trimix.

Some decompression theroy suggests that each gas acts independently of each other. Adding some nitrogen will reduce the fraction of helium. I refer to this phenomenon as synthetic nitrox

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom