Finally....a Scuba Diver!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BearWagon

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well this has been on my bucket list for as long as I can remember but for some reason always got overlooked .... I've flown planes, jumped outta planes, bungee jumped from tower cranes, raced motorcycles and rock crawled/off-road some hairy stuff....but now in my late 40's it's time to start another new hobby! And of all places I'm in land-locked Colorado for this and the wife is all in as well (she doesn't do any of the others)......but as is normal I tend to (pun intended) jump in with both feet and research/read/learn and surround myself with all things of said hobby (yes I may be considered a bit compulsive).

And for entertainment the checkout dives for the OW was during a mild blizzard in Utah (actually didn't think we would make the dive from the hotel due to the snow), kitted up in the parking lot in snow and 30 degree temps before entering Homestead Crater and the 95 degree temp water.....

Anyway I look forward to interacting with all of you and of course I have many questions on gear/places/training I'm hoping to hear each others opinions on each.....

Jason
-BearWagon-

Wlcome to Waterworld. It's never really to late to take up scuba. You're actually ahead of me as I was in my late 50s when I got my OW cert after years of thinking about it but never "diving in", so to speak. Just get out there and dive as much as possible.

Welcome to the underwater world.

Have a great time and welcome. Get to the saltwater as fast as you can!

Same here.
16k hrs flying
1000 ish skydives.
Multiple track days and blew an engine at Laguna Seca
Started diving after much procrastination at age 52
Enjoy.

Well, from your history it sounds as though you don't scare worth a damn ;-)
Welcome to scuba. I started at 49, after lots of sailing finally got underwater. Be cautious about diving, it's safe if you follow the rules, and not safe if you don't (sounds like aviation, yeah?).
Don't overlook the Florida panhandle region during the warmer months, and southeast coast of Fla during the winter (or any season). West Palm and Jupiter have good dive infrastructure and the "drift" diving in the edge of the Gulf Stream current, along the reefs and wrecks, is fun and you cover a lot of ground on a tank. Western Gulf, the Flower Garden Banks Ntl Marine Sanctuary is a fun and economical liveaboard experience with nice coral reefs on top of the big salt domes, though way offshore so you need to be in good with the weather Gods.

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Dive in, the water's fine!

Welcome. I was 51 when I started. I find the FL panhandle fine in winter depending on your wetsuit (even drysuit for locals). 95F water you dived in at that crater---how did that feel? Is it even safe? I know your body will maintain normal temperature in water of 91-92 F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom