Please suggest me something

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mariah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi my name is mariah and I live in Bangladesh. I love people when they dive and it had been in my list since I was a child and watching people dive in the television. I really love it and in my life for once I would like to try it. I heard that this is the worlds largest diving forum and that is why I came here to seek some help from you guys. If I want to start now, what should I do first and which country would be best for learners to take their lessons?

Hi Maria,

Malaysia is a great place to start. I have a few friends from Pakistan who started their diving there. It is close and is very affordable. I dove Pilau Tioman last year with the fam and we all loved it.

Not sure if you are Muslim but it is nice that Malaysia is culturally amenable to our religion, as well. Not restrictive like some places but understanding of our specific needs.

The basic process is you take a certification class with a reputable agency (several days to several months) and once you have a c-card you can dive anywhere. You will also need to complete at least 4 checkout dives - sometimes included in the price most times extra.

Most people buy their own gear over time instead of renting as you never know what you'll get renting. Plus you develop muscle memory when things are in the same place. Upwards of $1000 US$ for decent gear that will last you a long time with proper maintenance. Given your location look for Travel gear, it's smaller/lighter for plane travel but just as good.

PADI is one of the larger dive certification agencies worldwide. Here's their dive shop locator: Dive Shop Locator | Find A Local Dive Shop or Resort | PADI

They don't seem to have any locations in your country but will in India or other nearby countries.
Many shops offer the PADI E-learning, you do the course work at home then dive sklls and checkout dives at the shop. Sometimes in as little aa 2-3 days for full certification.

There is also a thing called a Discover Dive that many shops offer - you spend the morning learning the basics then go on an ocean dive with the instructor. It does not apply towards certification but gives you a sense of wheter you want to continue. In our side of the world, well under $100 - everything included.

Your country is not known for excellent diving but there is some a short flight away. I agree with the above poster about Malaysia - there's some excellent diving there. Gogle Dive Resorts and the country you're interested in and d take a dive vacation at any of them.

Mariah: Welcome to ScubaBoard and Howdy! from Texas.

Back
Top Bottom