Russian drifted for two days in 8°C/46°F degree waters - Sea of Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I wonder if PLBs can be bought & registered in Russia?

13th ship lucky for miracle diver - Divernet
A Russian scuba diver has survived two days spent drifting in the cold waters of the Sea of Japan, according to a report in the Siberian Times.

Pavel Vazemiller, 31, had been diving about 200m out in Ussuri Bay near his home town of Vladivostok in eastern Russia on Friday, 8 November, but became separated from the dive-boat.

Water temperature was around 8°C, and although the diver was able to put up an SMB he said later that he wished he had been carrying lights “because they would have helped me enormously”.

“I saw 12 ships passing by,” he told the paper, saying that they had all ignored his cries for help. He said that one of the vessels had almost crushed him, while another had passed close enough to touch. “But I didn’t see a single living soul – looks like they were all navigated automatically.”

Vazemiller was eventually rescued 10 miles from land by a 13th ship, the refrigerated cargo vessel Tigr-2, at 8am yesterday morning (10 November). As it passed within 100m of him, he was spotted by crew.

The diver was checked by a medical team aboard the Tigr-2 and found to be in “satisfactory” condition. He was told that he should stay in bed, but refused to be taken to hospital.

“I’m feeling OK, just lost my voice,” he said. “I’ll live a long and happy life.”

Vazemiller thanked everyone who had helped in the search and rescue, while his wife Tatiana said that funds raised in the process would be used to help in future search and rescue operations in the area.

48 hours at 46 Degrees and no after effects?? I'm calling ********, or I want his drysuit

Hmm mmmm....

"I'll take why the US lost the Cold War" for $1,000 Bob.

Probably ... as the USSR was one of the four countries that co-founded COSPAS-SARSAT.
I recently saw an ad for a British company selling PLBs that said they could program them for any country, except for Germany & Spain that do not allow them for some reason, and they could not ship to Russia - I think. If they can be purchased in the country, that'd work even if the costs are higher. Elsewhere, they are cheap enough to put one on ever diver, in every car console, in every backpack, etc and such lifesavers.

But Don, are they DIR and GUE approved?

Suggestions as to where to clip it off and discussions of positive / negative buoyancy and trim?

Let the Scubaboard begin!!!!!

Two man enter! One man LEAVE!!!!!!

48 hours at 46 Degrees and no after effects?? I'm calling ********, or I want his drysuit
Probably had a flask of potato vodka with him?

Having PAB (Personal AIS Beacons) like Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS, McMurdo SmartFind S10, etc., would be even better & faster than PLB in this case since 12 ships had passed him. Each of those ships should have AIS (Automatic identification system) that would show a MOB (Man Overboard) alert pops up in the AIS SART chart plotter with alert sound and his GPS position in the boat wheelhouse, when he presses the red button of the PAB.

I recently saw an ad for a British company selling PLBs that said they could program them for any country, except for Germany & Spain that do not allow them for some reason, and they could not ship to Russia - I think. If they can be purchased in the country, that'd work even if the costs are higher. Elsewhere, they are cheap enough to put one on ever diver, in every car console, in every backpack, etc and such lifesavers.
They are classified as radios and subject to each individual countries licensing and maintaining a database of users.

germany allows PLBs that use an MMSI but doesnt maintain a database for "land uses"
spain allows PLBs but only for maritime uses, not for hikers

ECO

Back
Top Bottom