Dirt Cheap BP/W Mk2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My reactions throughout this thread (and the others)

Oh, that's funny, a BP/W from a cutting board

Um, holy crap, he took it in the water

Hmm, that's an option for light travel gear.
Works like a champ.... And each iteration improves it!

One nice thing about it is you could chop some onions for lunch at your safety stop. :D
I've been accused of being a snob for refusing to dive plastic regs if chrome is available... So maybe slicing hard cheeses for the surface interval is more appropriate!

Works like a champ.... And each iteration improves it!
If you're interested, I'll weigh the whole setup tonight and let you know what it comes out to. I'm also looking into having a friend with a cnc router cut the next backplate (my free hand dremel work is really the only janky looking part of it)

Big thanks to James for the idea and hard work helping me build it. Two dives down a few tweaks and this thing works great.

Attachments

• 20191105_184425_HDR.jpg
    20191105_184425_HDR.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 209
Another inexpensive material to consider for the BP is PVC piping. You can often get short cut off pieces of large diameter pipe at construction sites for free. An 8 inch pipe gives you around 25 inches wide piece and 1/4 inch thick when slit and flattened. Flattening is easy, either boil it or heat it to 200 deg F in an oven and when soft place it on a metal or stone sheet, lay another one on top with a couple of bricks for weight, heat for 15-20 minutes at 200 then let it cool slowly. The sheet will remain flat. Later you can make a form of some sort, apply weights and reheat to make shapes. Fun stuff to play with.

Another inexpensive material to consider for the BP is PVC piping. You can often get short cut off pieces of large diameter pipe at construction sites for free. An 8 inch pipe gives you around 25 inches wide piece and 1/4 inch thick when slit and flattened. Flattening is easy, either boil it or heat it to 200 deg F in an oven and when soft place it on a metal or stone sheet, lay another one on top with a couple of bricks for weight, heat for 15-20 minutes at 200 then let it cool slowly. The sheet will remain flat. Later you can make a form of some sort, apply weights and reheat to make shapes. Fun stuff to play with.

With a bit of practice I bet a reasonable facsimile of a Freedom Plate could be made that way.

I might have plans to see how cheap cutting boards react to a heat gun, for some light forming...

Well, haven't had a chance to mess with a heat gun... but I did way the original prototype. All up (wing, BP, 2 cam bands, harness, 2 pockets) it weighs just under 5 lbs.... not bad for a first try. It's also working out so well that I haven't gotten around to making myself a MK2 or MK3. Next up is another copy of MK2 for my youngest (sticking to the identical design as his older brother's, due it being a known successful design). MK3 will be after that, trying to improve on the center channel length to obviate the STA's.

Thank you for all the info on what you have done! With your help, I have made my own and and super stoked with it! These pictures are my V2 Backplate and V1 Wing. I am in the process of making the next version of both! I am actually interested in making a bladder as well instead of using a pool toy, has anyone tried that as well?
PXL_20220720_173026954.jpg
PXL_20220720_173109329.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom