Russian drifted for two days in 8°C/46°F degree waters - Sea of Japan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would probably work! Thanks for the link.

Many ham radios have GPS built into them now. We have something called APRS, auto packet reporting system. It's like a locator beacon network for ham radio people that relays positions through internet linked RF repeaters. Obviously doesnt work in the middle of the ocean but you could read the DD.MM.SS on the screen...

I wonder if we could get by without saying ''Russian'' like it's a four letter word.
What inspired that? I do not think I have ever insulted Russians. Yeah, I grew up with Khrushchev promising to bury me and worthless atomic bomb "duck & cover" drills in school, but I never took those threats personally.
That would probably work! Thanks for the link.
Oh, great. I do wish he would remove that "No maintenance" claim tho, as there are a couple of requirements like all canisters.
  • Remove o-ring and apply silicone great before every trip, or weekly on long trips.
  • Replace o-ring every year or two. Order a couple from him when you buy, or shop locally with the info here: Hdvseatek O-rings identified
Is your walky talky waterproof to 3 feet in case of a canister leak? They all do in time.

What inspired that? I do not think I have ever insulted Russians. Yeah, I grew up with Khrushchev promising to bury me and worthless atomic bomb "duck & cover" drills in school, but I never took those threats personally.

Oh, great. I do wish he would remove that "No maintenance" claim tho, as there are a couple of requirements like all canisters.
  • Remove o-ring and apply silicone great before every trip, or weekly on long trips.
  • Replace o-ring every year or two. Order a couple from him when you buy, or shop locally with the info here: Hdvseatek O-rings identified
Is your walky talky waterproof to 3 feet in case of a canister leak? They all do in time.

My radio is not but there are several IP67 rated walkie talkies out now. Here's a waterproof GPS version:

RT8 IP67 UHF GPS Waterproof Dustproof DMR Digital Radio

For completeness, here is an interview with the guy and his wife, in Russian. It doesn't offer any specifics of his gear or details about the dive, so not really worth translating. One interesting thing is that when asked if he was almost unconscious when pulled out of the water, he said no, he was mentally and physically ready to survive much longer, if needed.

Sounds like a fun toy, but not something I could board a plane with.

Why not. I had one with 10 charges in the pocket of my g-suit for years
It has as many flying hours as my helmet has!
Sorry I could not resist!

"Vazemiller was eventually rescued 10 miles from land by a 13th ship, the refrigerated cargo vessel Tigr-2, at 8am yesterday morning"

Here's where my warped mind went:

A REFRIGERATED cargo vessel! After 2 days in 8c water, Vasemiller was quoted as saying to the crew, "Uh, no thanks, I'm fine. I'll just wait for the next ship." (I kid, I kid).

Very happy to hear it turned out so well.

Vodka did not helps, as antifreeze.
It helps to warming up faster, when you came BACK to the hot room, but not at the opened cold air.
It helps only for short time, and than you loosing heat much faster.
Much helpfull is chocolate or salo .

We suspect, that Pavel had dive with Zero (Japanese dry suit manufacturer). It is most popular drysuit for commercial dives for FarEast region.
On his photo he`s weared in CDX model

P.S. Yes! Zero, but different model Держался на плаву, думая о семье: дайвер из Приморья два дня провел в открытом море
Zero O2 Pro2 model

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom