Suppose I want to go to Bikini Atoll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

12L = 85cf steel in imperial terms.

If you want to be doing 50m dives and taking (good) pictures at Bikini you need trimix. Helium is not practical there for open circuit. Thus you need a CCR. If a CCR is too big a commitment to develop the skills and mindset to use, I'm not sure being on air at those depths for a casual "vacation diver" is any wiser.
As is seeming to become a theme, I echo RJack's sentiment on mix. I do think a 12L at 260bar is ~110cuft of gas though.

The real question is availability of O2 clean shmura matzo in Bikini Atoll during Passover.

:rofl3:

This reminds me - last year I was going to Thailand just before Passover, and right in front of me in the queue to the check-in counter were a couple haredi guys, with big cardboard boxes of matzah with them :wink:

If you want to be doing 50m dives and taking (good) pictures at Bikini you need trimix. Helium is not practical there for open circuit. Thus you need a CCR. If a CCR is too big a commitment to develop the skills and mindset to use, I'm not sure being on air at those depths for a casual "vacation diver" is any wiser.
He’s doing 65 dives a year. That’s a lot of a casual vacation diver ? :)

12 l at 260 is 110cf.

. I do think a 12L at 260bar is ~110cuft of gas though.

That sounds about right funny how you can get cave fills is bikini atoll.

He’s doing 65 dives a year. That’s a lot of a casual vacation diver ? :)
The OP called themselves a vacation diver... Just using his/her terminology.

I don't think spending $10-12K to get to Bikini atoll to dive air at 50m is a worthwhile goal. Not when you could pop over to the red sea for CCR Mod1 this year, Mod2 in 2020 or 2021, and have a deposit in for a 2022 trip to Bikini.

Even without the CCR everything is likely full through 2021 anyway.

That sounds about right funny how you can get cave fills is bikini atoll.

The OP called themselves a vacation diver... Just using his/her terminology.

I don't think spending $10-12K to get to Bikini atoll to dive air at 50m is a worthwhile goal. Not when you could pop over to the red sea for CCR Mod1 this year, Mod2 in 2020 or 2021, and have a deposit in for a 2022 trip to Bikini.

Even without the CCR everything is likely full through 2021 anyway.
Understood, I find this thread interesting because I would like to go there at some point. When I will be able to do this kind of dives and have saved enough for it :)

The pictures from the wrecks look really amazing.

since you are close to the red sea, i would recommend doing some training locally and diving the rosalie muller and thistlegorm as a starter. can try tekstreme for the training.

Understood, I find this thread interesting because I would like to go there at some point. When I will be able to do this kind of dives and have saved enough for it :)

The pictures from the wrecks look really amazing.
Just to be clear. I think there are significant and legitimate risks diving CCR. There are also risks diving OC and especially air at 50m. And even more risks with having a camera along. We just got the report of the deaths of two german divers in only 10m of water in Mexico mostly because they had a camera along in the cave which was a huge distraction even without narcosis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom