Reg for a newbie: Aqua Lung Mikron, Scubapro MK21, Atomic Aquatics B2, Apeks Flight or smth else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We made the mistake of buying Apeks Flights. Now I’m here trying to work out what to replace them with.... sounds like I need to get on the Scubapro website and have a look around. If anyone has recommendations I’m chasing travel friendly, light second stage, suitable for both air integration (oceanic transmitter on short hose) and backup SPG. Warm salt water the vast majority of the time - I’m unlikely to be in anything <10 degrees C. Not interested in servicing them myself. Intensive vacation diving so sporadic use unfortunately. Depth, well we’re currently not doing >40m but intend to do some basic tech in the coming years purely so we can do slightly deeper wrecks the likes of Truk & Gallipoli.

Edit: We’re based in Australia not the US
What was the mistake with the Flight? (happy with mine)

Sent both of ours for service only to be told that they are both beyond repair. They are only a couple of years old and have been well looked after. I liked them well enough but expected better longevity.

That sounds REALLY odd. I am curious if you have more details, but understand if it is not worth the aggravation for you to keep writing about. Almost sounds like a situation that needed a second opinion.
The Flight is not an easy reg to work on. There are something like 5 specialized tools required for disassembly and reassembly. Hopefully it wasn’t just trashed by someone untrained and unequipped for the task.

I do have a feeling it might be the latter case, however I don’t have them back yet. My husband spoke to the dive shop and wasn’t super clear on the details. It’s a reputable shop we’ve dealt with a lot and I will be double checking everything with the owners once I get my head around it. It is possible that the highly sporadic usage pattern + airline baggage handling has caused unforeseen issues, but we pack our gear pretty well and make sure everything gets a thorough clean when we get back from a trip. Either way we probably can’t prove anything and we’re up for replacements.

Last trip was a bit of a hex on gear and people, so maybe it’s just bad luck!

i realise this post is a bit old - i have serviced 1000's regs and just serviced a friends Apeks Flight the other day - my first one , and not a fan as any reg full of plastic as is a Pain to work on as you can easily break parts but with brass regs/parts and lots vinagar u can usually open any but plastic and salt if not super careful can break parts . - i suspect thats why dive shop didnt want to service them.
I was a working instructor over 15 years in the tropics and shocked how many instructors cant service regs properly even with factory training - and most customers regs that leak on holiday are when they just had serviced in home country ..
as far as special tools - i had to make ONE a large spanner open the top thats all needed .
other then that they are like any other reg ..

I am an Apeks fan, so I will recommend Apeks. If you want it light weighted you can go XL4. If you want cheaper best value, get DS4/ATX40s.

Dear scuba friends,

I'm looking for a lightweight (travel-friendly) regulator that would accommodate a Suunto transmitter. I'd like to have the option of having a backup pressure gauge if need be.

With the Mikron, I'm worried about the transmitter getting knocked around as it sticks straight out from the tank/first stage -- anybody encountered that issue?

Would you pair up the Scubapro MK21 with the G260V? Any alternatives?

Are there any other models that I should be looking at? There's so much out there!

Please note that I'm only diving a few times a year so I don’t need the most top of the line rig.
I know this post is pretty dated,,,but as for your personal concern that transmitter device sticks out so far it might get knocked off... Well, I would not look for a new 1st stage regulator, you should find a device with a smaller transmitter module.. OR see if there is an aftermarket replacement that is smaller in comparison. The Aqualung Micron is a great reg set, don't deviate over accessories.. make your accessories work with the equipment. I personally use only old school analog devices as to avoid the exact same problems you are having. They make life simple, sure, but confidence comes from learning to rely on yourself and experience, not digital equipment, that can short, battery dies, gets water penetration, and yes what you are worried about, getting damaged, possibly while diving, then what??

Buy a used rig and get double your money's worth. I support the B2. Great breather.

Back
Top Bottom