Durability of Seaskin Nova Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It's time to replace my TLS350. The fast facts:
- Australia based - The sun is no joke
- Significant amount of wreck diving
-- Not a lot of opportunity for penetration, but lots of jagged bits
- Basic cave certified
-- Might get more into it, but not a focus
- A lot of shore diving out here involves rocks and muscles

The Seaskin Nova is about 50% the cost of any other suit for us, so I'm really intrigued to hear how people have found the durability of the Nova. I do about 100 dives a year and try to be careful, but I know sharp things cut suits. I've never put a hole in my TLS350, but that may be due more to luck than skill.

To people who own a Nova, how did you find the durability? When I look at suits like the ScubaForce Expedition or Santi E-Lite+, I see all sorts of extra materials to improve durability. How does the Seaskin compare?

If I was doing just open water dives, the Seaskin would be a no brainer. I just want to know how the Seaskin has held up being dragged through wrecks and caves.

I have had my Nova for about 6 years now. I mostly cave dive, sometimes in pretty tight places. Suit has held up great, no problems. I ordered the heavy duty wrist seals, still on original seals. DO NOT order the heavy duty neck seal unless you are into self asphyxiation. I ordered the heavy duty zipper, still works fine but it is harder to close/open that regular zipper. I made a mistake on the order form, and wound up with one pocket on the front of my thigh, other on the side.

I recently got my Nova, but I have buddies with years of experience with them.
Nova is very durable. The laminate material itself is tough, similar to Ursuit Softdura or Diverite 905 but maybe a grade heavier. Build quality and semas are ok too. The Nova material is much heavier and tougher than tls350.
I dive wrecks, mines and occational caves.
I would not order any extra reinforcements to a Nova again (other than knee pads) Mine has some and after feeling the material I think they are unnecessary.

The Nova is on the tougher side of the spectrum and certainly not one of those plastic bag suits. The material felt stronger than I expected from seeing pictures online. I would certainly agree that it is suited to wreck and cave abuse.

Even if something happens at some stage, the price tag makes it good value. Just consider some customs/duty/gst fun before your package is released in Australia, this added another A$300 for mine.

I have heard both good and bad things about Seaskins custom cut sizing, but have never heard a complaint about the durability of their suits. Always heard they are pretty tough.

Just consider some customs/duty/gst fun before your package is released in Australia, this added another A$300 for mine.

Yea, it is an unfortunate add on for us down here. If my math is right, even with the duty/gst add-on a Seaskin should be about A$2300-A$2500. The Santi e-Lite+ is selling for A$4k. I'll buy 2 Seaskins for that price in case I have to send one back for repairs

I was sold on the Deepsix Makara, and will even be in the States in a few weeks so I could avoid the GST (don't tell Scomo), but it turns out their delivery window got pushed back, so it was back to the drawing boards for me.

Well, well, well....Usually I have to pay extra for that kind of service.
There is an up charge for the HD latex so essentially you’re still on track. Seaskin are great dry suits I dive them, have two, a Nova and a neoprene, if the neoprene had the front zipper I wouldn’t ever use the Nova.

Yea, it is an unfortunate add on for us down here. If my math is right, even with the duty/gst add-on a Seaskin should be about A$2300-A$2500. The Santi e-Lite+ is selling for A$4k. I'll buy 2 Seaskins for that price in case I have to send one back for repairs

I was sold on the Deepsix Makara, and will even be in the States in a few weeks so I could avoid the GST (don't tell Scomo), but it turns out their delivery window got pushed back, so it was back to the drawing boards for me.

Rounding some numbers, my Nova was 800GBP (as UK VAT does not apply for intl. orders) which I paid in Euro via PayPal, which amounted to around 900EUR, or 1450AUD at the time. Add 300AUD for duty/gst/entry fee and the suit ended up as 1750AUD in total. I've got pretty much everything on it (other than the p valve), so your suit without any further accessories should still come in under 2K.

The Makara was on the radar, but the Nova won out after going through both ordering processes. Can't pinpoint the exact reason anymore as it's been a while now. Both are good value compared to the cost of what's hanging on the dive shop racks here. I was looking at Waterproof (I like my wetsuit from these guys) but their sizing would have been a compromise that I did not want to accept at that price point.

Hi just wondering how people are going with their seaskin suits? Are they holding up or turning into tea bags? Looking at a seaskin or just spending the money and getting a Santi elite (don’t know how much better it can be 🤷‍♀️)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom