3 divers missing off of Java

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what is your estimate of how far their effective signal would reach?

Here is another source of info on PAB 4-mile radius range:

Personal AIS Beacons - MyBoatsGear.com

When you press the red button, the boat AIS chartplotter in the wheelhouse would sound man overboard (MOB) alert and show MOB icon with your unique MMSI number and GPS location.

I did such test a couple months ago on Blue Manta liveaboard at the beginning of the trip with the cruise director carrying my activated Nautilus Marine Rescue GPS (MRG) walking around in the harbor, while the captain showing me my MMSI number (972696005) flashing and moving around showing its GPS location in the boat chartplotter.

The 269, in MMSI number, I think, is the code for MOB and 6005 is the serial number of my MRG. The 97 is the code for Nautilus. So your MMSI number would be 97269xxxx where the xxxx is the serial number for your MRG.

Here is an example of MOB alert shown in Safelink R10 chartplotter from the MyBoatsGear.com link, above.

image.jpeg

Read this news yesterday - Body believed to be one of the missing divers found off Indonesia's Sumatra island, family to identify remains

"The body was discovered at 6.15am at 8 nautical miles off the coast of Kotodjawa, Lampung province, in western Sumatra.

The location is more than 200km away from Sangiang Island in Java’s Banten province, where the three divers were last spotted on Nov 3."

May he rest in peace and hopefully the rescue teams are able to find the remaining 2 divers.

PLBs are effective and affordable, depending on good local SAR is.

One body found. Identification challenged: Fishermen find body of one of three missing divers

Thanks for the links.

The current must have turned southwesternly and then northwesternly directions once they were in Indian Ocean.

4381E994-C768-4A63-8F53-941DCF25B0ED.jpeg

200km, wow

The deceased diver travelled 200 km in 8 days or 25 km/day or 1 km/h.

Quite a scary average speed. Thanks for putting it in these terms as it's quite clear how quickly things can go pear shaped.

I've never heard of using a UW scooter for a missing person at sea search. Usually it seems to be airplanes, helicopters, and boats. The only time I recall reading about scooter searches is when they've switched to body recovery.

Well they are diving in order to search - if currents exist and vary with time of day and also day to day it would be hard to cover say a 500sq.mtr grid systematically with just finning. An UW scooter on the on the other hand may allow covering a larger grid in the same time and do it systematically even with moderate currents - correct me if I am wrong..

P

200km, wow
I personally know two divers that were swept off a site ( in our local area once.

Took 2 hrs to locate them and they were 6km away

I've been swept 1.5km off a site during the time it took to launch the dsmb from 20m, make the ascent and carry out a 5 min SS (Top cover knew the currents and followed the dsmbs so no drama)

The ocean will bite, unfortunately people generally diving in easy blue water sites get complacent and underestimate real currents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom