Rolex Submariner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me watches are emotional things... Like books, they have a soul! (I could never destroy a book, give away yes, destroy never). You never known who has read them, and for watches you never known where they have been.

I own a sub, it was a gift from my grand mother and aunty. The same aunty who was my role model when it came to diving, who taught me how to dive when I was 14 years old. A couple of years ago they wanted to give all grand children something nice... my sis got an all inclusive holiday to the bahama's with her family, I got a rolex sub.

It's been on my wrist ever since... it's full of scratches, it's been on top of mountains, it was there when my son was born, when I got married and divorced, it hasn't been DIVING... because I always dive in drysuits and it just doesn't fit well, plus I would feel like a fob wearing it on dives. It is a magnificent watch... and I barely notice it :)

One day I'll pass it on to my son... who was fascinated as a toddler by it (mind you the only person actually who paid any attention to it).

For me watches are emotional things... Like books, they have a soul! (I could never destroy a book, give away yes, destroy never). You never known who has read them, and for watches you never known where they have been.

I own a sub, it was a gift from my grand mother and aunty. The same aunty who was my role model when it came to diving, who taught me how to dive when I was 14 years old. A couple of years ago they wanted to give all grand children something nice... my sis got an all inclusive holiday to the bahama's with her family, I got a rolex sub.

It's been on my wrist ever since... it's full of scratches, it's been on top of mountains, it was there when my son was born, when I got married and divorced, it hasn't been DIVING... because I always dive in drysuits and it just doesn't fit well, plus I would feel like a fob wearing it on dives. It is a magnificent watch... and I barely notice it :)

One day I'll pass it on to my son... who was fascinated as a toddler by it (mind you the only person actually who paid any attention to it).

Exactly.

Watches can be fun, but they're only a machine. Certain watches are appropriate for certain tasks. Practically speaking, mechanical watches have very little role to play in diving. Puttering around with a $12K watch in an environment where it can quickly lose its value is foolish IMO.

Practically speaking, mechanical watches have very little role to play in diving. Puttering around with a $12K watch in an environment where it can quickly lose its value is foolish IMO.

Practically speaking from the introduction of quartz, mechanical watches shouldn't even exist, but they do and are sought after by many which resulted in emergence of the very lucrative luxury watch market. When Audemars Piguet came out with the Royal Oak, a stainless steel sports watch which it priced over watches made of precious metals and it sold like... it made no sense. As said above, it's an emotional thing that goes against all reason.

Can't believe no one mentioned Tudor Pelagos. A true tool watch.

True tool watch? I like the Marathon TSAR and GSAR (1st is quartz, 2nd is the automatic), Sinn also makes some incredible 'tool' watches. Each to their own though!

I may get one of these to go with my snorkel, jetfins, and Big Knife. Then I can MaskOnForehead and trigger everyone.
If you look at the picture of the diver in the article, he is wearing a Poseidon drysuit with Force Fins.

True tool watch? I like the Marathon TSAR and GSAR (1st is quartz, 2nd is the automatic), Sinn also makes some incredible 'tool' watches. Each to their own though!
Among luxury brands Pelagos is the only tool watch. Better than any Rolex Sub or Sea Dweller or Omega SeaMasters. These are dress watches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom