Is an empty live aboard fun?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there!

Working on booking my first liveaboard for our honeymoon in March/April 2020 in Indonesia. We found one in Raja Ampat (10 days, Sorong to Triton Bay) that works for our dates and is with a company that has consistently fantastic reviews, including on ScubaBoard. One thing that is strange is that there are currently no other bookings for this date, so we'd potentially be the only ones on the boat. A few questions:
  • As its still 4 months away, how likely is the boat to get additional bookings and potentially fill up? We're often last minute planners (still haven't started booking a Japan trip for 1 month from now), but we tend to be an exception.
  • If we were to be the only ones on the boat with the crew, would that be fun and exciting or a little lonely? I'm guessing the crew members tend to be pretty social? Note that my Bahasa used to be good but has gotten rusty over the years.
Note that the trip is definitely happening, as the dates are sandwiched in between two private charters in different locations (prior trip ends in Sorong; following trip starts in Kaimana). Our other option is Misool Eco Resort, which also looks awesome, but I think we're leaning toward a liveaboard to see more of the region.

Background on us: We're fairly adventurous travelers, still both under 100 dives (I'm advanced cert, he'll do his advanced on the boat). Our previous diving has always been fewer dives in a location. For example, I've dived around quite a bit of indonesia years ago but at the time could only afford 2-4 dives in any given location (Bunaken, Alor, Pulau Weh, Derawan, etc). However, I never got a chance to get to Raja Ampat, so we're super excited about the area and to get a bunch of diving in, though we expect to also hike, Kayak, etc as well!

Any other tips/advice welcome of course :)

I'm sure it'll start to fill up, particularly as there's nearly six months to go. I've been on quite a few that have filled the last few places within a week of travel. If that is the case, just make sure everyone observes the first rule of a LOB; under no circumstances shall last minute bookers disclose their amazing discount!!

If the boat has to move from one location to another , then lucky you ! We have been on a LOB in the Maldives with only 8 other passengers. It was a wonderful week, we liked all of the other passengers a lot and had three excellent guides who dived every single dive with us. It may fill a bit more or a lot more.

Enjoy your honeymoon xx

It will likely fill up. But if it’s empty I think you will have a fantastic time. As much as I’m sure you want to see 300lb guys like me bending over in ‘next to see through wet underwear’ 5 times a day on your honeymoon.

Most boats have a minimum number of passengers else they won't sail. I'd recommend contacting the boat (not the travel agency if you used one) and asking about it. Like others have said, it'll probably fill up anyway.

It will likely fill up. But if it’s empty I think you will have a fantastic time. As much as I’m sure you want to see 300lb guys like me bending over in ‘next to see through wet underwear’ 5 times a day on your honeymoon.

And who wouldn't?!?!?!?!?!?!

This isn't really about diving, and more about being social vs being a loner.

If it was me, I'd be perfectly ok if I was the only one on the boat (although I'd prefer my girlfriend be with me).

Hi there!

Working on booking my first liveaboard for our honeymoon in March/April 2020 in Indonesia. We found one in Raja Ampat (10 days, Sorong to Triton Bay) that works for our dates and is with a company that has consistently fantastic reviews, including on ScubaBoard. One thing that is strange is that there are currently no other bookings for this date, so we'd potentially be the only ones on the boat. A few questions:
  • As its still 4 months away, how likely is the boat to get additional bookings and potentially fill up? We're often last minute planners (still haven't started booking a Japan trip for 1 month from now), but we tend to be an exception.
  • If we were to be the only ones on the boat with the crew, would that be fun and exciting or a little lonely? I'm guessing the crew members tend to be pretty social? Note that my Bahasa used to be good but has gotten rusty over the years.
Note that the trip is definitely happening, as the dates are sandwiched in between two private charters in different locations (prior trip ends in Sorong; following trip starts in Kaimana). Our other option is Misool Eco Resort, which also looks awesome, but I think we're leaning toward a liveaboard to see more of the region.

Background on us: We're fairly adventurous travelers, still both under 100 dives (I'm advanced cert, he'll do his advanced on the boat). Our previous diving has always been fewer dives in a location. For example, I've dived around quite a bit of indonesia years ago but at the time could only afford 2-4 dives in any given location (Bunaken, Alor, Pulau Weh, Derawan, etc). However, I never got a chance to get to Raja Ampat, so we're super excited about the area and to get a bunch of diving in, though we expect to also hike, Kayak, etc as well!

Any other tips/advice welcome of course :)

Unless it's a pre-arranged marriage...and you've yet to meet your wife...you may want to contact her and ask her if she's fun...otherwise you should know...

If your wife isn't fun...maybe you could coax you best man to come...or maybe your best man's wife...

Failing that...if you don't think you can have fun with strangers...your wife...your best man...your best man's wife...you may want to consider saving the money and staying home...

I'm sure your wife would take a dim view of you admitting to the world...that you'd be ''a little lonely'' in her company...with no one else around...

As mentioned, it's likely more people will book, and it's unlikely they'll go unless they have some minimum number of people.

Having the liveaboard to yourself would be great, with additional passengers adding both positive and negative aspects, so I wouldn't worry much about it. As a single diver, I tend to connect a bit more with the crew and divemasters though that connection is going to be only so much. But it means you get to connect more with locals since the crew tends to be locals and expats. You may have gotten plenty of that previously but it's a nice way to actually get to know what people from the area are like.

In my experience, I would expect there to be at most one day of hiking, though it would likely be to one of those cool overlook spots. If you do all the dives, it's also unlikely there will be much time for kayaking since you do need some downtime and want to enjoy the trip. You'll be in charge of your experience so you'll work it out but that;s what I expect the default experience to be.

Lastly, I think a 10 day liveaboard to RA to be pretty amazing experience and would expect to get a much wider experience than the land based resort you mention. Getting to travel a lot with the all the experiences from the diving to new places to see, going through the waters from glass smooth to otherwise, and after a week, still having 5 days to go is pretty cool.

Remember to pace yourself during the trip. You don't want to run yourself into the ground after a week because usually the diving gets better and better so take care of yourself, easy on the equalizing to take care of your ears, and get your rest.

Thanks for the replies! Lots of great points!

• #2: Noted on not wondering what last minute deals the late bookers will get :). Despite being the first ones booking, we've already secured a nice discount which is great! Much more included and cheaper than the land option.
  • #5: We verified with the company that they sail even if just 1 passenger (direct as we aren't using an agent). In addition, it's in between two private charters that are in different locations, so it has to make the journey anyway.
  • #9: On pacing- I suspect we won't be doing 4x dives *every* single day. Some days we'll do that, other days we'll just do 2 or 3 and spend time above the water :)
  • #8: Haha, awesome! I'm actually the wife :) My partner is super awesome & fun, I'm just a strong extrovert.
Anyway, will expect others to book, but am excited regardless! The max is 12 or 14 passengers, so it will be a pretty small group regardless.

Back
Top Bottom