Crocodiles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, with all sincerity, thank you. I had no idea fresh water crocs delve into the surf.

I can deal with a lot of things but alligators and crocodiles scare the bejesus out of me to be in the water with them. It's that whole death roll thing.

If I had to be in a death roll, I would like to have scuba equipment on.

Shoo it away to where?

Out of the headspring basin and down river. Once we started the show we had up to 10 divers in the basin at all times with glass-bottom boats and other boat traffic above so there was far too much commotion to suit the gator. We did have a manatee wander into the basin on the second day but it took one look at all the knife fights going on and quickly lumbered back down river. :)

They are not Saltwater crocodiles (Crocodylus porosus). They are American Crocodiles, or Crocodylus acutus and they don’t mind swimming in saltwater to hunt, move from one range to another, or look for a mate. They are one of two types of crocodile living on Cozumel. They are increasing in number and size, because they are now protected. They used to be hunted for meat and skins and that kept their numbers down.

Salt water / fresh water - don't mater to me, no chance of them eating this guy!!

My son and I went looking for them one day up by the water treatment plant on a scooter - we pretty much scared ourselves into leaving without seeing one.

Crocodile in the Alegro pool - OMG LMAO, feel sorry for the guy that got bit though. How was your vacation? Well I got hammered and at three in the morning went for a dip in the pool and a dang crocodile bit me in the head!!

Salt water / fresh water - don't mater to me, no chance of them eating this guy!!

My son and I went looking for them one day up by the water treatment plant on a scooter - we pretty much scared ourselves into leaving without seeing one.

Crocodile in the Alegro pool - OMG LMAO, feel sorry for the guy that got bit though. How was your vacation? Well I got hammered and at three in the morning went for a dip in the pool and a dang crocodile bit me in the head!!
The ones in Banco Chinchorro that hang out around the fisherman's huts are pretty docile. Snorkeling with them is a very cool experience.

The ones in Banco Chinchorro that hang out around the fisherman's huts are pretty docile. Snorkeling with them is a very cool experience.

That's probably a really cool experience.

You ever hear of Timothy Treadwell? The guy took his girlfriend Amie up to see the grizzly bears that he had been hanging around with all these years - I bet that was really cool too - right up till the point one of the bears ate them.

I think I'll skip any snorkeling with the crocodile experience myself :)

Docile or not, they get hungry. I don't know why sharks don't freak me out at all but alligators and crocodiles give me the heebie jeebies. I dove with one in a cenote and so long as he was up on his rock, no big deal. As soon as he slipped into the water, my brain went into "get the **** out" mode.

Dang, we will be at the Allegro in a couple weeks, I will definitely be checking out what's in the pool before I jump in and taking the flashlight on those late night walks on the beach!

Not Coz, but this guy (gator, not croc I believe) was hanging out at the base of the entry stairs to the basin at Silver Springs, Florida last March on the first day of the Sea Hunt Forever Show. Had to get the rangers to shoo it away before we could dive. :)

View attachment 549993
Everyone: SEA HUNT FOREVER!!!!!!
They see alligator.....
Everyone: WAIT...EPISODE 42 IS ON TV IN THE BAR.....
sound of double hose rigs, oval masks, and BFK's hitting the ground(gently).... followed by fins slapping the ground hurriedly as everyone duck walks to the bar in true Monty Python fashion.

Mike Nelson would have strapped on the BFK and made wallets and purses for the crew....

I'm sure it's funnier in my head that it actually was, but the voices in my head are pretty funny anyway.

Hijack over, now back to the man snacking crocs of Cozumel. Maybe the little feller didn't like the taste of watered down cheap tequila!!!

Safe travels all, see you on the reefs.
Jay

Nothing new now. They have been swimming in the salt water occasional since I came here in 92. Sometimes come up on the beaches and now that there are so many beach resorts encounters occur more frequently. Never have I heard of anyone being seriously harmed, but a few lost dogs…just like Houston.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora

this is why...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom