Planning an affordable diving holiday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So after lots of hunting, we seem to have settled on the quiet South side of Koh Tao. Daughter is also now saying she is keen on the Advanced OW as well, but that is probably pushing the budget a bit far. We shall see...

Again, thanks all for your great input.

So sorry to hear about the cancer. I found Puerto Galera in the Philippines to be relatively easy to get to and low cost diving. Getting there is not difficult since you fly into Manila and then 2 hours car and 45 min boat ride. The dive sites are very close to the island and so you can do more dives per day and not spend a lot of time on boats getting to and fro. Hotels and food are inexpensive as well.

So after lots of hunting, we seem to have settled on the quiet South side of Koh Tao. Daughter is also now saying she is keen on the Advanced OW as well, but that is probably pushing the budget a bit far. We shall see...

Again, thanks all for your great input.

When are you heading there and which beach are you staying at?
I'd love to hear some feedback from you after your trip.

We'll be there in August, first staying at Tanote Bay in the east for a few days, then switching to Sai Daeng beach in the south for a change of scenery. We're hoping we can avoid the mad crowds topside and in the water on those parts of the island.

Hello
We're going out at the start of October - hoping to miss the crowds and catch the good weather period. We'll be staying in Chalok Baan Kao, which is the very Southern bit. I have been there before, it is very peaceful, especially compared to the party area of Mae Haad. Accommodation is reasonably priced (500 baht/night), and there are several dive centres to choose from.

In other news, daughter passed her OW training yesterday (aged 11), and is most extremely happy! And is still wanting to do her AOW. Main target for her is seeing sharks and doing night dives. She also mentions wanting to see dolphins and penguins, I guess that'll be just after admiring the unicorns.

In other news, daughter passed her OW training yesterday (aged 11), and is most extremely happy! And is still wanting to do her AOW.

Excellent! Big congratulations to your daughter!! Especially this time of year, it must've been very cold!

I hope you have a great trip and all goes well with the shark and night dive quest. I guess there's an outside chance of dolphins too.
Dolphins are also on my wish list, but no luck so far. Came very close a couple of years ago but didn't turn my head in time after my guide saw a pod flying by. And last month in Egypt, while snorkelling, a big school of fish came flying towards me over the reef as they were being chased by dolphins but I didn't see the dolphins. Being surrounded by the fish was very cool in itself though :)

Hi all
A quick update - we went to Koh Tao and dived for 12 days. It was FANTASTIC! A superb trip, beautiful weather (sea temp 30c!) and great company. We got most wishes ticked and has a few extra bonuses too. Photography side worked well, so we've come back with some fine photographic memories and daughter is now a Junior Advanced OW diver! Time to start earing lots more money and planning the next trip...

Thank you all for you kind suggestions and thoughts. Most very much appreciated. :)

Hi all
A quick update - we went to Koh Tao and dived for 12 days. It was FANTASTIC! A superb trip, beautiful weather (sea temp 30c!) and great company. We got most wishes ticked and has a few extra bonuses too. Photography side worked well, so we've come back with some fine photographic memories and daughter is now a Junior Advanced OW diver! Time to start earing lots more money and planning the next trip...

Thank you all for you kind suggestions and thoughts. Most very much appreciated. :)
Great, which dive operator did you use?

It was Assava, in Chalok Baan Khao (south coast). They were fantastic, and I would recommend them to everyone. Very professional, and enjoyable.

Hi all

That's wonderful! I know that budget was a concern, how did that work out for you?

Thank you for the update.

Good to hear it all worked out well :cool:
We stayed in Tanote Bay on the east coast in August and dived with Calypso divers, who I was impressed with, and am also happy to recommend them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom