Doubles Wing Questions - Apeks vs DR and 12" vs 16"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Manatee Diver

Stop throwing lettuce at me!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
So I am looking toward taking my advanced nitrox and decompression procedures sometime early next year. And I am looking at the what I need to convert by singles BPW to doubles, which is mostly a new wing, so I have narrowed it down to Dive Rite or Apeks. I favor Dive Rite because they are a local cave country brand, but I've heard good things about the Apeks wing. Has anyone dove both? Any reason to pick one over the other?

Next is inflator length, I am favoring the 12" hose and I don't like how far down the 16" dangles, so I bungee it down making it harder to use it to dump air. Any negatives to selecting the 12" hose?

What size and type of doubles tanks are you considering? There are many options but the steel low pressure tanks seem to be the most popular in your area. Tank type and weight will be a consideration in relation to your selecting an appropriate wing and also if your intend to dive steel tanks in a wetsuit it may be a good idea to get a dual bladder wing. costs more but worth it IMO. Dive Gear Express in Pompano sell some good hardware and I like their manifolds, they are exceptional value for money and I like the tall version, makes reaching valves a breeze for open water diving.
There's a ton of info on this subject if you do a search on the forums.

That is a good question, this is going to mostly be for boat diving in South Florida, so it is very likely it might be HP or AL80 doubles. I just don't picture myself wearing doubles enough to justify buying tanks for now, so it will be whatever is available to rent.

But you are right, in cave country is LP steels, but for that I favor sidemount.

So I am looking toward taking my advanced nitrox and decompression procedures sometime early next year. And I am looking at the what I need to convert by singles BPW to doubles, which is mostly a new wing, so I have narrowed it down to Dive Rite or Apeks. I favor Dive Rite because they are a local cave country brand, but I've heard good things about the Apeks wing. Has anyone dove both? Any reason to pick one over the other?
I have dove both Dive Rite doubles wings (the older Rec, the Classic and the Classic XT, and the old 77lb Super Wing) and Apeks double wings (60 lb, but not the 45). I presume you are thinking of the Classic or Classic XT as the DR wing.

I have found all of them to perform well, when I used them. I don't see any notable differences in features. I have a slight preference for Apeks simply because of the durability of the wing material and the weight of the power inflator, but that is only a slight preference. Some divers seem disinclined to use the Apeks wings because the casing is a bit on the stiff side. That is true, although I didn't find it to be a problem.

Obviously, the wing you select should reflect the cylinders you plan to dive. For double AL80s as an example, a 45 wing is adequate (Apeks 45 or Dive Rite Rec). For double steel 130s, it wouldn't be, and the Classic XT or Apeks 60 would be preferable.
Next is inflator length, I am favoring the 12" hose and I don't like how far down the 16" dangles, so I bungee it down making it harder to use it to dump air. Any negatives to selecting the 12" hose?
You choice of length is just that - your choice. I find 12" to be too short. Using a thin piece of bungee cord, run through the left chest D-ring / slide works well for me, it certainly doesn't impair my use of the hose., But, I also use the wing's butt dump 95% of the time anyway, so I seldom deploy the corrugated hose, or use it for purging air.

You might be interested in a discussion of the length issue in another current thread: Wing inflator hose length/location/reach

It would be a Classic XT or an Apeks 60.

[QUOTE="Manatee Diver, post: 8812006, member: 499551
Next is inflator length, I am favoring the 12" hose and I don't like how far down the 16" dangles, so I bungee it down making it harder to use it to dump air. Any negatives to selecting the 12" hose?[/QUOTE]

12" is perfect on my Halcyon (used) wings. I have a Hollis wing bought for pool use (which I've never used) with a 15/16" hose which looks obscenely long..........think excited male horse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom