What is the ideal size RIB for scuba diving?......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just like any other boat, the ideal size is two feet longer than the one you have. :D

I spend about half of the time wishing my boat was a couple of feet longer, and the other half of the time, I wish it was a couple of feet shorter. That leads me to think mine is about right.

Boat prices increase exponentially so an extra couple of feet that might only represent 15% of the length, but it might very well add 60 or 70% or more to the price. Because EVERYTHING has to scale up... the engine, the trailer. And then the really big thing... the tow vehicle.

When I bought my last RIB (20' Zodiac Hurricane with a 150) I owned a V6 truck. After blowing three sets of rings, I had to buy a Tahoe. To quote the boat dealer, "Nice accessory"

There is also a huge range of build quality. For example, there is a "new" line of RIBs around called Highfield. They promote themselves as being a New Zealand company, but the boats are made in China. They are light duty, the tubes are PVC (as are most budget inflatables like the Bombard referenced in the post I quoted) but the price is right. If you are a weekend warrior, and keep the boat tarped (UV light can destroy PVC tubes in a very few years) then they're good value. My boat which is hand built and basically military spec is Hypalon (which is essentially indestructible, but also very repairable, where PVC is not) but it's worth a fortune. I was fortunate to find a used one, but it's about double the cost of the Highfield or Bombard.

The OP might want to look up rib.net Its the Scubaboard of the inflatable world. It's based in the UK, where RIBs are much more common for diving, but there is a North American forum as well.

boat.jpg
. Enjoy the whaler and post a pic when you get it.

pRd7vC9

pRd7vC9

I wound up getting a 25ft Boston Whaler that was already setup for diving. Nice dive ladder, swim step, etc. No pontoons to climb over, etc. Skipped the inflatables

Pictures??

look right above your post.

Got it!! Beautiful boat, I wish you decades of safe and enjoyable diving!!!

When you have the time, please post pictures of all sides of the boat including the inside and all provisions for diving. Also, what type of truck will you need to pull this boat?

Got it!! Beautiful boat, I wish you decades of safe and enjoyable diving!!!

When you have the time, please post pictures of all sides of the boat including the inside and all provisions for diving. Also, what type of truck will you need to pull this boat?

I used to have a bunch, but cant seem to find them. Is a Frontier, so its on the Commercial hull and one heavy SOB, with trailer is around 8200 pounds. I use a Ford F350 1T Dually to pull it. The trailer has electric winch. Dive ladder is off of swim step to the rear. Have 4 roll aways for tanks per side. Just one bench. Usually its just my dive buddy and I, so 2 rebreathers, and 4 tanks for Bail Out, and 2 scooters. Has Radar, 2 GPS units, fish finder and Side Imaging (Hummingbird unit).

Nice looking boat! Since we got the RIB we cracked and got an Anderson custom Stainless Steel telescoping, folding ladder to make it easier for the wife to climb in, as the tubes are higher out of the water than the tubes on our old inflatable. We are having a blast with our boat, hope you get at least as much fun out of yours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom