Old Fogie -NEWBEE here Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dick Ecker

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm 76 years old. Back in 1963 my folks bought my first lung, a Healthways Scubair 2 hose single stage regulator. Before long I had wet suit and all the other goodies I needed.
I wanted to dive because I had watched all the Cousteau movies and read all his books and all the others I could get my hands on. I subscribed to SkinDiver mag..
I had no formal training, but was self taught. (Unfortunate in some respects.)
I dove for fun till I went into the service in 1963. After the service I sold all my diving stuff as I lived in Virginia at the time outside Washington Dc and there is no clean water there in which to paddle.
Looking back on the Cousteau movies I have seen .... I remember seeing one in which the Calypso accidently ran down a whale, killing it. They had lots of coverage of the shark feeding frenzy on the carcass. I can also remember on in which the dive team met under the stern of a sunken ship at about 200 feet when one of the divers got rapture.
I have written to the Cousteau Society in France about obtaining a copy of his early movies , but they did not see fit to even answer me. I wonder if it is because the old movies are not PC?
Does anyone here remember the early Cousteau movies and the titles? Specially the ones I have described.
Private/public messages appreciated

Welcome Dick! Not so sure the whale killing was "accidental." For a lot of reasons you're not going to get much help from the Cousteau Society. A lot of Cousteau's films are on YouTube and you can buy the complete collection on various webstores. For a list of all his films see the list under Filmography: Jacques Cousteau - Wikipedia

Not too late to get certified. My two main dive buddies are 70 and 75.

Thank You Marie, but at 76 I'm too old and suffering from bronchitus, besides I never learned to do more than dog paddle. With flippers you don't need to swim well. With my flippers, I could do about 7 mph under water! After 4 years in the navy I am convinced I will die by drowning so no more scuba for me.
I now spend all my money on my gun collection and shoot targets every chance I get.
I will do the Wikapedia thing and see what I can find.
D. Ecker- Cadillac, Michigan

I'm 76 years old. Back in 1963 my folks bought my first lung, a Healthways Scubair 2 hose single stage regulator. Before long I had wet suit and all the other goodies I needed.
I wanted to dive because I had watched all the Cousteau movies and read all his books and all the others I could get my hands on. I subscribed to SkinDiver mag..
I had no formal training, but was self taught. (Unfortunate in some respects.)
I dove for fun till I went into the service in 1963. After the service I sold all my diving stuff as I lived in Virginia at the time outside Washington Dc and there is no clean water there in which to paddle.
Looking back on the Cousteau movies I have seen .... I remember seeing one in which the Calypso accidently ran down a whale, killing it. They had lots of coverage of the shark feeding frenzy on the carcass. I can also remember on in which the dive team met under the stern of a sunken ship at about 200 feet when one of the divers got rapture.
I have written to the Cousteau Society in France about obtaining a copy of his early movies , but they did not see fit to even answer me. I wonder if it is because the old movies are not PC?
Does anyone here remember the early Cousteau movies and the titles? Specially the ones I have described.
Private/public messages appreciated
Welcome to ScubaBoard @Dick Ecker . Glad you decided to join.

Thank you for the welcome.
One of you has suggested where to go to find some of my sought for Cousteau movies.
I found the names of the films, but..........................
I was very disappointed at and frustrated by the secrecy shown by the Cousteau Society in their resistance to releasing Jacques's early films on DVD or even on tape.
Those early release films have been cloistered in the same secrecy as Area 51 in Nevada.
Why they should be hidden is beyond my reasoning. Those films caused me to be a scuba diver at the age of 16-17 and that was back in the 60's.
I'm still seeking DVD's of those early films. Do they exist somewhere?

I do recall having seen some of those early films, as a kid; vaguely recalled the whale killing as accidental or claimed as such, and had several of the older Cousteau and Diolé books, from the 1970s and earlier. One, in particular, I forgot which, had a black and white photo of a seal or sea lion, along with a caption, with advice to skin divers, "Do not shoot!"

Sadly. I do believe they are in a PC vault somewhere, more secure than the Vatican Archives, along with a frayed watch cap or two . . .

Get that man a Speedo!

i think I might have a couple of those videos on vhs IIRC il look for them next week at the storage facility

Yoe, ABNfrog,
I can copy tapes and my machine will put a tape on a dvd.
I'd like to borrow "The Silent World" if you have it on tape.

You can watch The Silent World on Youtube. It's the first one when you search on it.

Back
Top Bottom