What gives??? SeaLife DC2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scottsfire

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My very special AOW/Nitrox certified 12 year old daughter is a total dive junky. Everytime we are in a dive shop, dive boat or advertisement in magazine she flips out over the Sealife DC2000. So for Christmas I was gonna pull the trigger and get her the SeaLife DC2000 with Sea Dragon 2500 Set that she can grow into as her little dive career/passion develops..........BUT....BUT......I read bad reviews and I read great reviews. Things that seems to be consistently coming up is "shutter lag", poor auto focus and color metering.
People either LOVE this camera or HATE this camera......no middle ground!
Can you guys give me your open honest opinions as SL DC2000 owners.
Thanks,
Scotty Chaco

It's great camera system. I've had one since they first came out. Yes, I've cussed the auto focus, but it's more of me getting in a hurry than the camera. I can highly recommend it. It can be as simple as a point and shoot to as complex as the user wants to get.

Thank you....alot of this makes sense. Keep the feedback coming.
:)

I also love my DC2000 and concur with the other posters. There is a couple of second lag time on the shutter when taking pics in RAW format. Personally, for my purposes, I never use RAW. It produces outstanding photos and video and the 2500 light is a great companion for photos/video and for night diving! I am not a photographer and don't really have the patience to get all technical- which is why I love the DC2000. Quality point and shoot. As @digdug87 said-- auto focus just requires not being in a big hurry when taking those close up macro shots- which you shouldn't be anyway. Here is a wide angle and a macro shot to give you an idea:

upload_2019-11-14_21-16-11.png

upload_2019-11-14_21-17-8.png

I've been using one for about a year now, after the initial fiddling around with it and messing with the settings I'm super happy with it. You can check out the photos I have been taking with it on my shops Facebook page. Also they have a Sealife user group that some really awesome pictures have been posted.

www.facebook.com/goodlifedivers

My very special AOW/Nitrox certified 12 year old daughter is a total dive junky. Everytime we are in a dive shop, dive boat or advertisement in magazine she flips out over the Sealife DC2000. So for Christmas I was gonna pull the trigger and get her the SeaLife DC2000 with Sea Dragon 2500 Set that she can grow into as her little dive career/passion develops..........BUT....BUT......I read bad reviews and I read great reviews. Things that seems to be consistently coming up is "shutter lag", poor auto focus and color metering.
People either LOVE this camera or HATE this camera......no middle ground!
Can you guys give me your open honest opinions as SL DC2000 owners.
Thanks,
Scotty Chaco
"shutter lag" is a fact of life for any camera that's not a DSLR. Yes, sealife cameras have shutter lag. So does any camera that's not a dslr set in manual mode. Learning to deal with it is a skill that must be developed.

The camera has to do a bunch of stuff all at once when you press that button and that stuff takes a little time. You can do things to reduce it such as setting everything as manual as possible. You don't get shutter lag on a real DSLR (unless you've got it set to auto). The reason you don't get lag on a dslr is that you do everything before clicking on a dslr. So by the time you click the button the extra stuff has already been done. DSLR's are very expensive to take underwater and you get what you pay for.

I have several nikon DSLR's that I use on land. I use a sealife in the water because it's so darn expensive to take a dslr underwater.

I also love my DC2000 and concur with the other posters. There is a couple of second lag time on the shutter when taking pics in RAW format. Personally, for my purposes, I never use RAW. It produces outstanding photos and video and the 2500 light is a great companion for photos/video and for night diving! I am not a photographer and don't really have the patience to get all technical- which is why I love the DC2000. Quality point and shoot. As @digdug87 said-- auto focus just requires not being in a big hurry when taking those close up macro shots- which you shouldn't be anyway. Here is a wide angle and a macro shot to give you an idea:

View attachment 550123

View attachment 550124

Wow...those are awesome!

I like mine and the shutter lag is nothing compared to the previous version. Have her take a short inexpensive introductory class and I think she`ll be happy with the results. Most of the results in underwater photography come from the photographer, not he camera. I`ve seen people get fantastic results from housed point and shoots. Basically the same as $7000 housed SLR`s. That`s in MOST circumstances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom