End of 2019 and thoughts for 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2019 was a good year. This year saw my longest dive, and my deepest. I'm not one to chase "personal bests" just for trying to see numbers on my computer screen, but both of these dives brought me to some very cool places.

This summer I was able to explore and map over 3000' of new cave at Shepherd Spring south of Tallahassee over two dives. The second (and longest) was nearly 11 hrs in duration.
IMG-6284.png

Then in September, I got to go out with a Mote Marine project studying deep sinkholes in the Gulf of Mexico. This dive took me to 355' and we saw two deceased sawfish at the bottom of the sink:

Other fun stuff included lemon sharks off of Jupiter and 10 days down in Grand Cayman :)

2019 isn't over yet. Still hoping to explore in Leon Sinks if the conditions get just a little better in one section of the cave. 2020 should see a return to Shepherd and who knows what else!

2019 sucked.... started with a fabulous "techreational" trip (Picton - Lake Ontario) in early June where I saw one of the best wrecks I have ever been on

vlcsnap-00001r1.jpg

and since then, I haven't been in the water all year....

That will change for me as we are going as a family to Curacao in mid-December (third trip in two years). Diving with the daughter (now in college) is a treasure!

I have no idea how 2020 will play out.... it better have more diving!

Got time for a quick trip to the UK, I'll show u round the mines of North Wales!
I wish man, but already have a KLM flight through Amsterdam to Stockholm.

It was a lovely year, with lots of fun dives!
First dive of the year was at the first of January. The end op April there was a advanced nitrox course. In may my gf and I did meet with some friends in Germany to dive a beautiful very cold mountain lake. In June there was a week to France for intro cave followed with some extra cave dives. Somewhere in the summer I did my open water DPV course. In September I did do a LOB to Egypte to keep the misses happy. A few weeks ago i did a weekend mine diving in Germany. In between all that there was a lot of local diving

For the end of April we join some friends in a LOB at Egypte, there will be DPV’s :)
Somewhere in may there should be a normoxic trimix course in Malta.
I hope I find time and people to go to France in the 2nd part of the year to do some cave dives.

2019-- Usual local shore dives here in Nova Scotia and the usual summer 7 weeks in NY area for CT shore dives and once out to Montauk (L.I.) with my brother. In Spring had a stage 1 cancer (in polyp) removed from colon so that was a while away from the water, but fortunately they got it all. Less than a month ago I made it to dive #800. Figure another 3-4 years if healthy to get to 4 figures.
No "snowbirding" again this year as we both had health problems.
2020-- More of the same predicted. Well hopefully not the health problems part.

2019:
- passed the 200 dives marker
- got my Tec45 certification
- got my self reliant certification
- had the best encounter underwater ever: a humpback with her calf appeared in front of me out of nowhere and we had this magic moment (around the Cementco wreck, Australia, in around 28 meters of water). She was so close I could touch them.
- I had a wonderful trip in Koh Tao, Thailand

2020:
- keep diving as much as possible
- get my Tec50 certification
- dive the Haven in Italy: MT Haven - Wikipedia
- start my journey in cave diving

2019:
SB Surge to Curacao
Had to pass on my regular spring Cayman trip due to work
Suffered cervical spine injury
Spinal surgery from said injury
Trying to get my arms to work again... and slowly succeeding

2020:
SB Surge to Little Cayman... with a little help from my friends
Regular spring Cayman trip
Retire a second time and figure out what I want to do with my life when I grow up

2019:
11 days diving in Puerto Galera, Philippines in April
4 day liveaboard to the Southern Channel Islands on the Conception in May/June
A month in Bonaire in August
8 days in Cozumel (arriving this Sunday the 17th)
Lots of shore and boat diving in the Puget Sound, Washington
167 dives total

2020:
2 weeks in Bonaire in January
No other firm plans yet, but will definitely get out of the country a couple of more times to somewhere- still sorting it out
Plan to get to Florida at some point and get in some West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach, Jupiter diving-- hopefully meet up with @scubadada

Bali - solo course
Christmas Island
Maldives
RA
Palau
PNG
GBR
Galapagos
French Polynesia
Banda
Still have Solomons this month and Socorro in December.

Jan - RA
Feb - Maldives
Mar - Galapagos
Apr - GBR
May - Derawan
Jun - Komodo
Jul - Cocos
Aug - Fiji
Sep - Banda
Dec - Bahamas
Plus whatever I book for Oct and Nov.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/