Teric not Accepted as Primary Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In order to prevent speculation I e-mailed Chatterton this morning to inquire as to why he establishes this requirement. He was extremely quick on the response and very open to the question. He gave me permission to paraphrase his response on SB as to the reason he does not allow the Teric as a primary. in his classes.

1. The Teric does not allow you to change GF High while diving, while the Perdix and Petrel do.
2. The larger screen size of the Perdix and Petrel allow you to see more data on the screen without having to scroll screens to see other data elements.

As I look through the Manuals for Perdix and Teric I can find in the Perdix manual where it indicates that GF High (not GF Low) can be adjusted while diving while the Teric manual makes no mention of it. I e-mailed Shearwater this morning to find out if the Teric can do that. (I am not rendering an opinion on whether or not this feature is necessary)

I understand from this and previous threads that JC's methods are often a source of controversy here. I will say this.

He's a great teacher, and while he might not spend time on the fundamentals of trim, etc.. that you can get from many other excellent instructors, he brings to the class experience, stories (and entertainment if you are into the history of diving) that you simply can't get anywhere else.

He's open to discussing things with his students - it's not just my way or the highway.

You might feel that insisting on one brand of computer or one model is inappropriate for whatever reason. And in that case, you would do well to look elsewhere. But he answered the question honestly and you can take that or leave it...

In order to prevent speculation I e-mailed Chatterton this morning to inquire as to why he establishes this requirement. He was extremely quick on the response and very open to the question. He gave me permission to paraphrase his response on SB as to the reason he does not allow the Teric as a primary. in his classes.

1. The Teric does not allow you to change GF High while diving, while the Perdix and Petrel do.
2. The larger screen size of the Perdix and Petrel allow you to see more data on the screen without having to scroll screens to see other data elements.

As I look through the Manuals for Perdix and Teric I can find in the Perdix manual where it indicates that GF High (not GF Low) can be adjusted while diving while the Teric manual makes no mention of it. I e-mailed Shearwater this morning to find out if the Teric can do that. (I am not rendering an opinion on whether or not this feature is necessary)
Well there ya go. Apparently the computer IS different in functionality and he requires the missing functionality. I'm curious to hear the response from Shearwater. If he is right then the guy should be congratulated on being so intimately familiar with shearwater computers.

This is a bit above my training grade... under what circumstances (other than as a purely academic exercise) would you want to modify your gf mid dive?

Yeah, I don't get the wanting to adjust your GF hi on a dive. Isn't the rule plan you dive and dive your plan? Why would I want to suddenly drift from that on an OW deco dive?
Very interested to hear the reasoning for this. Maybe I've just been taught from a different school of thought so this was never an option or recommendation.

Well there ya go. Apparently the computer IS different in functionality and he requires the missing functionality. I'm curious to hear the response from Shearwater. If he is right then the guy should be congratulated on being so intimately familiar with shearwater computers.

...and if he’s wrong?

...and if he’s wrong?
Then he'll deserve all the ridicule in the world over such nonsense. We could shave him, and make him walk through the city while commoners throw poop at him.

edit: oops.. forgot that scene is nsfw... removed the video .

1. The Teric does not allow you to change GF High while diving, while the Perdix and Petrel do

To echo what others are saying, I must've missed the pages in the manual that recommend you to change the GF underwater so you can trash your entire dive planning?

Just speculatin, this might have the interest of shortening your Deco by increasing the GF high. This might be useful in case of being short on Deco gas for the initial plan, for instance when sharing gas with another diver in an emergency? Modifying the GF high on the go would let you recalculate what's the fastest safe time you could end the dive without incurring unreasonable risks? Just wondering.

There are absolutely reasons for changing your GF high during a dive. Planning is important, but you need to be able to modify the plan if things change. That's actually the whole idea behind the SurfGF feature. You can see what your surfacing GF would be at any time in the dive.

To take one example. You are in cold water, diving 30/70, and your dry suit floods on your ascent. You might well decide that you can accept the tradeoff of surfacing at 85% if it will get you out of the water faster.

To echo what others are saying, I must've missed the pages in the manual that recommend you to change the GF underwater so you can trash your entire dive planning?

Just speculatin, this might have the interest of shortening your Deco by increasing the GF high. This might be useful in case of being short on Deco gas for the initial plan, for instance when sharing gas with another diver in an emergency? Modifying the GF high on the go would let you recalculate what's the fastest safe time you could end the dive without incurring unreasonable risks? Just wondering.

If you're short on deco gas you would switch to back gas. If your short on both, you suck your tanks dry and pray you don't get bent. Followed up by a hard look at how you ****** up.

I would like to hear a solid reason why anyone would tinker with their GF during a dive? Keeping in mind the computer says nothing about what is actually happening to your body. If you felt you worked to hard at depth you could simply just add time to your final stops.

Nevertheless, if the option to change your GFs is not available on the Teric it's still rather pointless to say it can't be used as a primary computer since the Teric has Surface GF. This was a feature only the Teric had when it was released. I know there was talks of a firmware update coming for the Perdix and Petrel, but I don't know it that was released or not.

Nevertheless, the Teric is full technical diving instrument. The idea it should be relegated to backup duties because it's inferior is nonsense, IMO. However, it's John's class and he has the right to set his rules as long as they conform to industry standards.

Except you really don't need to change your GF high to expedite your exit. Use GF99 and SurfGF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom