New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess for a recreational diver, it might be okay. But I'm used to 90lbs of thrust with more than 1300watt hours of power. I don't see DeWalt doing that, lol.

So who is doing the best battery for this scooter? And what does the 'Best' mean?? reliability, pure power, longer run-times etc.
For me reliability would be the key metric as I only need it for wrecks, so long run times and speed are not as important as reliability.

I guess for a recreational diver, it might be okay. But I'm used to 90lbs of thrust with more than 1300watt hours of power. I don't see DeWalt doing that, lol.

A Piranha P3 holds 12 batteries. 20V * 5aH * 12 = 1200 W-Hr of DeWalt power...

But, yeah, not in a scooter that only holds 2...

Those Genesis scooters you've been talking about look totally badass. But, $1700 (with 2 sets of batteries - guesstimate) versus $7000... Given that I don't even NEED a scooter yet, the BlackTip is looking very appealing. Though I don't NEED a scooter, there are some dives where having one would definitely be nice, and the BlackTip looks like it would totally do those jobs.

Those Genesis scooters you've been talking about look totally badass. But, $1700 (with 2 sets of batteries - guesstimate) versus $7000... Given that I don't even NEED a scooter yet, the BlackTip is looking very appealing. Though I don't NEED a scooter, there are some dives where having one would definitely be nice, and the BlackTip looks like it would totally do those jobs.

To blow sand or to pull you? Thrust and time at full thrust as two of the most important factors for determining suitability. A reliable but weak scooter would be disappointing.

Does anyone know how it might compare in thrust to the high setting for the old appolo/dacor scooters that use a single 26-28 amp-hour 12 volt?

What is the thrust?

What is the thrust?

They haven't published everything yet, but the site says that "Boost Mode" (available for up to 3min) has up to 57lbs of thrust. That's about equivalent to a Viper LiPo. I'd guess that, in "continuous mode" it'll be more comparable to a UV. Somewhere in the ~45pounds-thrust range.

From some back-of-the-napkin math and assuming use of the 12Ah packs, my guess at the range is that it's equivalent to a UV26 or ~10% less than a Viper LiFe.

Overall, I'd pit this against a UV26 but at about a quarter of the weight. It's not a bad deal for a travel-friendly, PTB-powered scooter at that price point.

I have the P1 with the 'standard' battery, and it's wonderful. I seriously considered getting the empty battery pack for the tool batteries, but our dollar exchange (Canada) is currenly really bad, making the empty slice just out of reach for me.

The real bonus for someone outside the USA (and that means us in Canada as well) is that shipping batteries across the border has now gone from expensive to utterly beyond stupid. Try buying a battery from the online seller... battery $150, SHIPPING $150!!! (and in USD). Ouch. Shipping used to be $50USD only a few years ago.

However, I can buy power tool batteries at almost all the big box stores (plus amazon.ca) locally with no hassle at all. What is even more strange, prices of the batteries are comparable to USA prices. It makes getting a scooter so much easier outside the USA.

The other bonus is that most of the time, it's not the whole battery pack that dies. It's one crappy cell that goes first, but in a big pack that's as good as the whole pack. With either the P1 and the slice, or this new "P1 lite", if one pack goes, you toss it and get another. The other packs in the scooter remain until they die. Sweet.

The BlackTip website has been updated with specs since yesterday. It says:

Specifications
Weight 24lbs (10.9kg)
Length 24in (61cm)
Depth Rating 300ft (100 meters)
Continuous Max Speed 210ft/min (64m/min)
Boost Mode Max Speed 238ft/min (73m/min)
Boost Mode Max Runtime 3 minutes
Boost Mode Max Thrust 57lbs (253N)

Runtime and range varies, depending on your choice of batteries.

See below for specs on different battery options.

BlackTip w/ 5Ah Battery BlackTip w/ 12Ah Battery
Runtime at Cruise Speed
(150 ft/min; 45 m/min) 50 minutes 123 minutes
Range at Cruise Speed
(150 ft/min; 45 m/min) 1.4 miles (2.3km) 3.5 miles (5.6km)

To blow sand or to pull you? Thrust and time at full thrust as two of the most important factors for determining suitability. A reliable but weak scooter would be disappointing.

Does anyone know how it might compare in thrust to the high setting for the old appolo/dacor scooters that use a single 26-28 amp-hour 12 volt?

I would use it to blow sand and to pull me. Different dives. Different needs. But, for the things I have been doing, the published specs seem like they would be adequate for what I would use it for. Even if I carried extra batteries and swapped between every dive.

That is the demo. This isn't designed for life on the line caving or wrecking. This is (having not see it... but I'm pretty confident) mid-speed cruising, extending the dive, having fun, open water silly fun.

If you want something 'serious' - this is not that scoot. Its seriously fun, but c'mon... with a pair of DeWalt batts, you're not taking this into any kind of overhead or mission critical situation.

- K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom