Quick drive down weekend trip ideas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dont know how tall you are but careful about renting steel 100s. You may never go back. :) I have done many enjoyable dives in AL80s but they are a bit long for me. My own tanks now are steel 100s for all NC diving and when I can rent them. They are shorter and fit me better, hold more air, and require less extra weight.

IMHO you should contact Scuba Jenny on this board and arrange for her to be your guide and dive the blue heron bridge.
You dive there based on the tides (so the dive will be in the am) you can then do something in the afternoon.

There is a Hilton close by to stay at.

The dive is shallow and could easily be 2.5 hours in length.

DD

Thanks, I would not have thought to do that.

I'll chat with my instructor
Are you diving in a wetsuit or drysuit? What temperature are the PDRA quarries in winter.

Water temps in Jupiter still in the low 80's. I was gonna go diving today but could not make it. I heard flat seas and 80 ft of viz. We have a cold front coming in tomorrow Wednesday, and weekend is not looking too good for diving right now...
Thats what we mean by iffy in FL during this time of year.. 1 day, sometimes half day window for diving...

We dived on Tuesday with Jupiter Dive Center and the weather was great and the seas were great. Looking at Saturday and Sunday the seas are going to be very sporty....4.4 ft to 9.4 feet over those two days. I'd check with the dive shop you've chosen to see if they are going out.

Keep in mind that 4.4 is not a max in most systems but average 2/3 or some such. So 4.4 means some 5s and 6s etc added in.

I'm up in NC and most everything is closed up for the season.

I'm thinking about heading down to FL for a fast weekend. Drive down Friday afternoon and then head back Sunday evening.

I'm torn between Jupiter and the Keys, looking for some input.

I'm OW with Nitrox cert and halfway through my Advanced having done two boat dives and deep already.

Jupiter I understand is typically deeper and most dive boats might not let me on without the Advanced. However, I might have my instructor with me.

What I'm wondering is how much more of a drive does it add to go to Key Largo and what kind of options would I have for last minute boats?

Morning:

“The wetter is better” dive boat crew (Riviera Beach Marina) were super helpful to me as a beginner diver. Drift diving over the West Palm Beach reefs. Great crew. Very safety conscious. 45 To 52 ft.

Going to take my AOW with Pura Vida. They have a great rep. A friend of mine (DM) dives with them a lot.

Have fun.

Have any of you tried driving I-95 from West Palm to the Keys lately? It is a mess. Lane closures, construction and large volumes of traffic have almost double travel time. Weather will make it 50-50. Sorry to say, but if you are coming for a day of diving, you're wasting you time. Wait till you have a more time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom