Calf cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definately the tonic ( quinine) get horrible leg cramp tree climbing - sorts it out k

I've had the calf cramps a couple times but more often it is either my foot or worse, my hamstring. Those hurt bad. I'll try all these issues to stop them and hopefully one works.

I've been away 3 weeks and see we have gotten quite a variety of solutions to cramping (as predicted). Even one suggestion of dumping the split fins and using stiff ones while not kicking as hard. This contradicts what I've heard and personally experienced using my splits. But then again, I rarely kick hard WITH them (maybe because I'm old and have seen mostly everything to see around here and am in no rush to cover a significant area?).
Anyway, just goes to show how things vary so much because everyone ('s body) is different.

Reactions: Ana
I note that you say the cramps subside if you surface swim on your back....

In addition to all the other advice, Why don't you just surface swim on your back?

A lot of divers, including me, surface swim on our backs, not bc of cramps necessarily, but bc I find I swim faster and more efficiently on my back. Maybe it directs my legs more completely into the water.

I mostly shore dive, so there's often a long surface swim. When I need to travel, its on my back.

I note that you say the cramps subside if you surface swim on your back....

In addition to all the other advice, Why don't you just surface swim on your back?

A lot of divers, including me, surface swim on our backs, not bc of cramps necessarily, but bc I find I swim faster and more efficiently on my back. Maybe it directs my legs more completely into the water.

I mostly shore dive, so there's often a long surface swim. When I need to travel, its on my back.
Yeah I too prefer any long surface swims to be on my back--for the speed and comfort. Not sure if it would be better for me for cramping. When I used to cramp a lot I would take a compass reading (surfacing, if possible with the cramp(s), descend, and pull my way on the bottom toward water shallow enough to stand in to put pressure on the cramp and relieve it. Whatever works.

Ah yes, the ol' LazyBoy swim, my favorite!

I also do a lot of shore dives and find i
back swimming incredibly relaxing as well as quite fast. Plus, I've never had a cramp while swimming on my back.

I used get calf cramps as well. It my fins. Also full foot fins help.
I hadn't heard about full foot fins helping, but I used to use them snorkeling in Florida & the tropics. Can't recall whether I cramped or not (so long ago). Not usable in cold water anyway.

No caffeine before diving, don’t overdue the water intake, drink tomato juice, or get some stewed tomatoes, or sun dried tomatoes

Hmmmm....caffeine thing might be something....I always have a large Iced coffee before diving. I guess I can count on the cold water to wake me up :) Not sure on the tomato's though....not a big fan unless it's over pasta or fries.

Back
Top Bottom