Cleaning a mask in the dishwasher

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silicone residue comes off really well in a dish washer - normal cycle, lowest temp your machine will do, ideally after the toothpaste/ brush treatment. I have been doing this for the past 20 years with all new masks, really cuts down on the fogging. Absolutely no concerns.

if we're talking about fogging, then the good old lighter method is the way to go.

Atomic masks come with incredibly stubborn residue. I just protect the skirt with aluminium foil and fire away at the glass. Sea buff it, done. No fogging issues.

You can scrub for a week and it won't be as effective.

Silicone residue comes off really well in a dish washer - normal cycle, lowest temp your machine will do
I am still working on this, but a pass or two through a dishwasher appears to be a great way to solve the (yet unproven) issue of migration of crap from the skirt to the lens.

The next two points of my investigation are the conditioning of the glass lens and treatment for storage. Still a work in progress, now accepting all negative comments as they tend to be somewhat useful in test design.
would it remove the yellowish from clear skirts?
No.

https://www.quora.com/Materials-Sci...-yellowing-How-do-I-make-it-clear-white-again

There might be another answer.

The surface layer is the one exposed to ozone, the environment, etc. It yellows and you scrub it off. You are not making it clear again, you are removing it.

There might be another answer.

The surface layer is the one exposed to ozone, the environment, etc. It yellows and you scrub it off. You are not making it clear again, you are removing it.

the end result is the same.

I wouldn’t of thought of the dishwasher, until I read the big thread on cleaning mask.
So I tried it, normal wash, no dry.
Mask the same as I put it in , no damage.

Fog free ! I was really having trouble with a new mask, after trying various methods.
It may not be my go to. But seems to have worked for me.

My mask sat idle for more than 15 years. It was all sorts of interesting shades of green/yellow. Two days soaking with regular dish detergent (sunlight brand I believe) and a quick rinse and it was pristine. Maybe try that first...? Also, you can always pop the dishwasher open before the heated dry....

Thanks all for your answers...
I have 2 scuba diving masks, never had a problem. Never put themin the dishwasher...
This one is a freediving mask (Salvimar Noah). For about 1 year the usual cleaning methods worked out. Now they don’t work anymore. The strange thing is only the right lens gets fogged.
I will try the following:

Burn with a lighter
Potato
Dishwasher

Let’s see what happens

You seem to hang out with very "special" type of people. You need to go out and meet a different set of people ASAP.

Most of the people in my group do not wash masks in the dishwasher. The is one guy anyway who is a big believer of this method. He said he uses the plain dishwasher program, not the dry program, full program and lemon scented soap haha
He’s been doing this for 5 years

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom