Recommended fins for diver with bad plantar fasciitis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaimieGreen

Registered
Reaction score
My husband has really bad plantar fasciitis. He has been diving for a few years with pain. We got some boots that have better arch support which have helped but are trying to see if there may be some better fins as he is still in a lot of pain when diving.. He has previously used mares avanti Quattro plus and is considering scuba pro sea wing nova open heel and the gorilla version as they have a long and rigid foot support and he thinks that may help keep his arch from bending. Have also heard that split fins may be helpful for people with bad plantar fasciitis. . Trying to see if others have experience or recommendations based on their own plantar fasciitis as the fins are pretty expensive and we want to ensure we are making a good decision and getting a new set of fins that will likely help with his pain so that he enjoys diving more.

I cant make any specific recommendations as I dont have that condition. Check with all your local shops and ask if they have some he can borrow join them on pool days etc. Some will I had one let me borrow his personal ones for day when I was shopping around.

I've suffered with this condition and to the best of my knowledge, the type of fin won't matter because you're not putting any weight on your foot. My suggestion is deal with the problem itself and try to fix it. I had it so bad I could barely walk for the first few steps of every day but now I hardly ever feel it. I discovered the problem is often due to tight hamstrings so I've been stretching my legs a LOT, especially after warming up at the gym 5x per week. Also got custom orthotics which seem to be helping quite a bit.

I don't know that fin type would matter much. I've dove with some pretty bad PF in split fins and did fine, but I didn't get them special because of PF, they were just the fins I have.

But honestly, I think you'd be better off spending the money on a physical therapist (if you haven't already) to address the issue. They can do ultrasound, electrical stim, and graston technique to promote healing plus strength and flexibility exercise to address the underlying problem. I'm a runner, so for me improving my core muscles and balance were key to keeping my arch from absorbing all the shock and I haven't had a problem in several years now.

Is this something a change in kicking style would help? Is he flutter kicking or frog kicking?

Is the pain while kicking? If so perhaps a fin with a smaller blade to put less pressure on the foot.

Seawing Novas have a smaller blade than Mares Quattros and ScubaPro Gos smaller still. I prefer a small fast kick and am faster in either than my Mares Quattros.
See if you can try, rent, borrow before you buy to see what works for you

Fix the problem at the source - get rid of the PF.
It was 2 painful months for me but the results were well worth it and maintaining it has been pretty easy since.

What worked for me:
1) Got 'superfeet' custom insoles. These are the vacuum formed cork ones. Not quite orthotics but similar.
----- These things.
----- Finding a supplier took a bit of work, the guy I found focused on sports physio stuff.
2) Wore them everywhere.
----- Expect pain. Pain is good (and necessary). Subsides over several weeks. Try to walk more than usual.
3) Did the recommended foot rolling excercises/stretches every morning and every night...
----- I bought 2 x 1L Nalgenes, half filled with water and kept them in my freezer.
----- The pain means it's working.
4) After a couple months things were much better. After 3 - 4 months fixed entirely. Now I forget I had to deal with it unless someone brings it up.
5) Protect feet
----- I always wear shoes (except on boats)
----- I have bought several pairs of these for every shoe/boot I wear: Wiivv | Comfortable and Supportive Custom-Fit Footwear . They are about 1/3 the price of the Superfeet and almost as good.

Anyways, having dealt with it for long periods with no one giving any good answers on how to solve things I feel it important to pass on to anyone who experiences it that the above did work but takes way longer than you think it should. The reward in the end is worth it, however.

Trying to mitigate the pain is a waste of time. Fix the problem.

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies. My wife was very kind to reach out to this forum to help me. I’m the husband. We should have probably mentioned that I’ve had this for four years now. I am seeing a physical therapist, and I’ve had insoles etc. I am a former Marine and my body had been through a lot. This plantar fasciitis is a thorn in my side that I can’t seem to fix no matter what I’ve done. We have a big trip coming up and I have a hard time enjoying our divies being in so much pain. It seems that each time my arch bends it increases the pain. I use multiple kick types and have tried each to try to reduce the impact. One long dive I finally took the fin off because the pain was unbearable. So thank you for the suggestions about it fixing the problem and I assure you I have been trying. I am afraid I may have torn or ruptured mine so it is a little more difficult to fix. Therefore, suggestions about the fins will be most helpful. Thanks.

Do you have this pain when walking in shoes, or mostly when finning? Do you have booties with a soft flexible sole or ones with a thicker, more rigid sole? Have you tried force fins with a rigid soled boot?

Is the pain while kicking? If so perhaps a fin with a smaller blade to put less pressure on the foot.

Seawing Novas have a smaller blade than Mares Quattros and ScubaPro Gos smaller still. I prefer a small fast kick and am faster in either than my Mares Quattros.
See if you can try, rent, borrow before you buy to see what works for you

That was my though and also the Nova’s are said to have a foot support that comes all the way to the heal. My Fins boot support stop right at the arch. I hope that immobilizing the arch will help. My plantar fasciitis is so bad that I does not take weight to make it hurt. Mine is painful even at rest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom