Garmin In-reach mini as PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SOS instructions and battery info for anyone interested
inReach Mini - inReach_mini_OM Owner's Manual
  1. Lift the protective cap from the SOS button.
  2. Hold the SOS button.
  3. Wait for the SOS countdown.
    The device sends a default message to the emergency response service with details about your location.
  4. Reply to the confirmation message from the emergency response service.
    Your reply lets the emergency response service know that you are capable of interacting with them during the rescue.
For the first 10 minutes of your rescue, an updated location is sent to the emergency response service every minute. To conserve battery power after the first 10 minutes, an updated location is sent every 10 minutes when moving, and every 30 minutes when stationary.

Battery Information
The actual battery life depends on your device settings, such as the tracking and message checking intervals.

Battery Life

Mode
Up to 30 hr.

10-minute tracking send interval and 1-second log interval
Up to 50 hr.
Default mode with 10-minute tracking send interval and 5-minute log interval
Up to 20 days
Extended tracking mode with 30-minute tracking send interval
Up to 1 yr.
Turned off

I just pay a small monthly fee for the month I use it (which is usually 1 or 2 months out of the year). Unlike a PLB I can recharge it; and it should have enough battery life to help me in an emergency. Plus you can turn it on and off; and the two way communication it provides is much better than what a PLB has (where you just hope it's working but have no timeline of when / if help is on it's way). As for not floating; that shouldn't be an issue. Keep the case tethered to yourself and the Mini tethered to the case; that way there's no chance of losing it.
1) You will be stuck paying (re)activation fees for your account. I think those are currently running $24 usd.

2) The time to send a txt is potentially much longer than you'd like. I've had them take 30+mins with my InReach occasionally. You will have to hold it overhead all that time until the signal is sent

3) There is no homing signal. Your coordinates will need to be relayed from Garmin to SAR. If you are actively drifting those numbers will be out of date by the time all that chatter takes place (especially in a 3rd world country who may or may not even have direct communications with Garmin)

You are better off with a PLB that floats and has a homing signal.

An example of a PLB with no satellite phone connectivity for messaging, just a one button call for help directly to COSPAS-SARSAT, which requires an initial free registration when you buy it, but then no monthly fee ever, and the batteries supposedly last seven or so years: https://www.rei.com/product/156622/...d=46631_c17cda749&CA_6C15C=120217890006539617

And, there's a cost comparison chart midway through this web page that indicates what sort of money the satellite messengers actually run you: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-personal-locator-beacon

inReach Mini is not a PLB. It’s satellite communicator via the Iridium satellite network, hence, monthly subscription. Its battery life depends on how frequent you use the messaging system.

A PLB is designed for emergency where the alert will be transmitted directly to SAR satellites, hence no subscription. Its battery life is guaranteed to last at least for 24 hours of 5 watts transmission of 406 MHz (specific frequency to SAR satellites).

inReach Mini is not a PLB.
So, it identifies where you're at and allows a rescue. How is this not an emergency beacon?

Total price with the case is $600?
I see them for about $275 on sale and the case will be on top of that, but not more than $100. It will probably be half that.

So, it identifies where you're at and allows a rescue. How is this not an emergency beacon?
He didn't say it was not an emergency beacon, he said it was not a PLB. A PLB has a specific meaning; it is not a generic term for everything that might be a call for help.

Back
Top Bottom