Any reason not to use tanks before viz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wnissen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I have a couple tanks (12.9L high-pressure galvanized hot-dipped Fabers, aka HP100s, if it matters) that need their first-ever viz. Is there any reason not to just dive them and take them for a viz and fill afterwards? They would be 2 months out of viz at that time. Thanks.

i.e., they are full already but the viz has expired since the fill?

If they've got gas in them, dive away.

They have to be empty for a viz, what better way to empty them than a dive. I don't get a hydro until I dive and empty the tank, sometimes its expired a while before I get around to a particular tank.

Oh yeah, also no reason to get the viz before you actually need the tank filled.

Bob

You will be cheating a dive shop out of two air fills.

i.e., they are full already but the viz has expired since the fill?

If they've got gas in them, dive away.
I am amused by these replies, and thank you for your help. Surprised that someone hasn't shown up yet to claim there's a major problem.

Oh yeah, also no reason to get the viz before you actually need the tank filled.
Bob

Yes. Don't let them bull-**** you by telling you that the new VIP must be 12 months from the previous VIPs expiration. That happened to me once when I was young(er); when I called another nearby shop
in front of them, they changed their mind.

As long as you check them for oxygen % and CO you're good. Which you should be doing every single time you dive them regardless of needing a vis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom