End of 2019 and thoughts for 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bali - solo course
Christmas Island
Maldives
RA
Palau
PNG
GBR
Galapagos
French Polynesia
Banda
Still have Solomons this month and Socorro in December.

Jan - RA
Feb - Maldives
Mar - Galapagos
Apr - GBR
May - Derawan
Jun - Komodo
Jul - Cocos
Aug - Fiji
Sep - Banda
Dec - Bahamas
Plus whatever I book for Oct and Nov.

I want to be you

I had a good early 2019 with a 12 day lob in Raja Ampat, immediately to Padang Bai, Bali to meet up with a friend, then a couple of weeks back in Singapore to decide whether to go to North Sulawesi or somewhere entirely new to me. So lazy, it was easier just to return to Bali for a fortnight, once I realized that I'd not satisfied myself there yet.

Normally at this time, I would be packing to return to SE Asia for the winter but I'm in the process of downsizing.
Hopefully, the end result of the downsize will be a long period of slow travel.

Bali - solo course
Christmas Island
Maldives
RA
Palau
PNG
GBR
Galapagos
French Polynesia
Banda

Jan - RA
Feb - Maldives
Mar - Galapagos
Apr - GBR
May - Derawan
Jun - Komodo
Jul - Cocos
Aug - Fiji
Sep - Banda
Dec - Bahamas

Wow! This reads like a "best of" list of scuba diving destinations. Most people would be lucky to visit half of these in their lifetimes. Which is your favorite? As a US-based diver, all of those exotic Asian dive destinations look amazing but extremely cost-prohibitive to visit.

My 2019 was a pretty great diving year for me. I passed the 100 dive mark; learned how to dive doubles with GUE in Japan in February; spent a week shore diving in Bonaire in June; did a try dive on a CCR in Grand Cayman in October (I might be hooked now); and finally just got back from another great week in Cozumel where I was introduced to a great bunch of people from the vintage diving community. I also acquired more tanks than I could possibly need (went from one to nine... whoops) and plenty of other gear.

Goals for 2020:
1. Take AN/DP and start tec diving.
2. Do more drysuit dives locally.
3. Do more local dives in general.
4. Visit one of the incredible places in the list above.
5. Continue diving my ass off, preferably in as many different warm tropical locations as possible.

I found an IT whose approach meshed with my learning & diving style, and took the time to renew my long lapsed active status as an instructor.

I taught a few classes - and made sure that for every teaching dive I got in at least one fun dive.

Took some dive buddies & students to dive sites that they had never dove before - and enjoyed their sense of adventure & exploration.

I had a lot of good dives, and expanded my circle of dive buddies.

Looking to run a few more, select courses.
Lots more diving, including hitting a few local sites that don't get much use.

Maybe pick up another Instructor Rating (or maybe not).

Was an interesting and tough year for me. Had an injury to my arm that I am still dealing with. This caused me to part ways with the center I was managing. But it did give me the time to go to Thailand, which I loved, dive Phuket and met Chris from Deep 6.

I moved to exclusively diving Sidemount, bought my XDeep rig and fell in love...with it.

Became a SNSI instructor and did my Mod 1 on the Poseidon.

Hope to finally get my arm sorted out as it is preventing me from fun diving at this time.

Want to dive more and teach more.

Hope to buy a rebreather and become a recreational and advanced CCR instructor.

Work on my skills.

Wow! This reads like a "best of" list of scuba diving destinations. Most people would be lucky to visit half of these in their lifetimes. Which is your favorite? As a US-based diver, all of those exotic Asian dive destinations look amazing but extremely cost-prohibitive to visit.
I'm doing my bucket list. I like a few of them. Maldives, RA, Banda, Galapagos, French Polynesia.

When you get as old as me, your aspirations become less complicated. As example, for 2020 I am hoping to:

1 - Remember my way home at night
2 - Maintain bladder control
3 - Remember wife's birthday, even though its one day before mine
4 - Avoid heart failure
5 - Work on lawn so I can scream "Get off my lawn" to neighbor kids

Anything else is a bonus

Dive trips to Florida Keys and a LOB in the Bahamas

Early January dive trip to Little Cayman. Then home to have surgery and a lot of who-knows-what's-next depending on how that goes, so remembering to be grateful for sunshine and underwater adventures with loved ones.

Bali - solo course
Christmas Island
Maldives
RA
Palau
PNG
GBR
Galapagos
French Polynesia
Banda

Jan - RA
Feb - Maldives
Mar - Galapagos
Apr - GBR
May - Derawan
Jun - Komodo
Jul - Cocos
Aug - Fiji
Sep - Banda
Dec - Bahamas

My 2019 was similar to CWK's:
Paddy's Head, NS
Fox Point, NS
Herring Cove, NS
Indian Cove, NS
Mill Cove, NS
Africville, NS (Halifax Harbour)
Eastern Passage, NS (2 spots that really suck)
Sandy Cove, NS
Cow Bay, NS (2 of 4 spots that sucked)
Hammonassett Park, CT
Pleasure Beach, CT
Merwin Point, CT
Fort Pond Bay, Montauk, L.I., NY
2020--more of the same, except my brother & I may dive exotic Newport, RI.
Reads like a who's who of exotic shore dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom