Big wave throws dive boat captain overboard - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Slight derail, but what is the thing at 1:50 that seems to be spewing something into the water?...

Probably a dredge discharge pipe.

Actually, not approaching the first wave correctly and with sufficient power appears to be what initially turned this boat
So, you've been on the boat and through this inlet how many times? I know of at least three boats that have been chewed up here. My search showed I was wrong and that there have been more. Its an incredibly dicey inlet.

Boynton is one of my fav places to dive, but that inlet gives me the heebedee jeebedees every time I go through it. Underestimate it's ferocity at your own peril, and possibly everyone else's' on the boat.

The seas that day were predicted to be exceptional. I think they were calling for up to 17 ft waves in the Gulf Stream.

So, you've been on the boat and through this inlet how many times? I know of at least three boats that have been chewed up here. My search showed I was wrong and that there have been more. Its an incredibly dicey inlet.

Boynton is one of my fav places to dive, but that inlet gives me the heebedee jeebedees every time I go through it. Underestimate it's ferocity at your own peril, and possibly everyone else's' on the boat.
Never been through that inlet - but been through many others that are dicey... though I don’t know why that matters to my valid question as to what happened here? Barring mechanical issues, the video shows a situation that could have been avoided in my opinion.

That’s Adam and Maggie’s business.

I wouldn’t dive them again and that decision predates this video. Unlike many of the glowing reports on Facebook and other SM, my wife and I did not have a good experience with Starfish Scuba.

Adam assured me he had a pool scheduled for my wife and daughter’s OW pool sessions but in reality did not. The pool was undergoing scheduled service on one day and was closed on another day so we racked up two extra days‘ hotel costs while Adam worked out an agreement at the last second with another shop to use their habitual pool. I communicated and coordinated the schedule months in advance with Starfish Scuba with sustained communication along the way to keep the focus fresh. I think having a primary and alternate pool should be standard practice if you don’t own your own training pool, especially when the customer is flying in from out of the country specifically to patronize your business.

Adam told me his Newton (the one you see in the video above) would be the one we take out for OW dives but in reality it wasn’t. His boat had been hauled out for service and had been for weeks. We had to wait around in uncertainty while he sourced another boat. We hitchhiked on some crummy catamaran with a crew more interested in stoner talk and the nobleness of marijuana legalization battles than being a proficient crew. I think I give off plenty of indicators in my personal conduct and communication style that suddenly getting into the spirit of Spicoli while on vacation is not likely. So, I don’t think he read his customer very well and his idea of a suitable back up boat and crew was inconsistent with our communicated expectations.

What constituted a drift dive for Adam was hardly more current than what I get on the second half of a routine shore dive.

What constituted a “totally intense” wreck dive was nothing more than some odd timbers strewn about in shallow water. The only thing we penetrated on my dives was my wallet.

Maggie coached my daughter not to drink water in the morning or while on the boat so she wouldn’t have to urinate while diving. “You should never pee in your wetsuit.” I can’t make this stuff up.

In the end, we ran out of time and returned home without my wife and daughter getting certified. Rather than quibble with Adam over pro-rating the cost, something I knew would result in a fruitless expenditure of energy, I wrote off the course costs. However, what really, really irked me and put me in a posture to clobber them was the fact that Adam and Maggie wouldn’t respond to my formal requests to return my wife’s medical clearance form signed by a physician. Shame on us for providing the original (based on the assumption that we were going to get a first-rate experience) but to take a couple of months to send a medical form back to the customer so the customer can pursue a course closer to home is petty. When all it takes is an envelope and a cheap stamp to close out the customer’s experience, I concluded Adam and Maggie are more focused on dabbling in a lifestyle than running a business.

In contrast, my dives with Jupiter Dive Center were top shelf so it’s not like I’m one of those impossible customers that simply can’t be satisfied (although I probably seem that way to Adam and Maggie).

The video of the Starfish’s broadside roll and the captain falling overboard does not surprise me. That much said, I don’t wish people ill-will or hope their business fails. I hope Adam and Maggie can learn from the incident and sharpen their focus, procedures and practices.

Pro
Crazy stuff. Glad everyone is OK.

Slight derail, but what is the thing at 1:50 that seems to be spewing something into the water?

View attachment 550768
Probably a sand pumping pipe, moving sand from somewhere it builds up to a place where it disappears from. There are two similar operations near the border of New South Wales and Queensland where sand is taken away from the southern side of the entry to a waterway/river and deposited on the northern side. Also stops the waterway silting up.

...What constituted a drift dive for Adam was hardly more current than what I get on the second half of a routine shore dive.....
The vast majority of your post sounded like valid complaints. This one item, however, may have been fully out of his control. The current in this area varies every day, as the gulf-stream moves in & out from shore. Our prevailing current is 2-3 knots north, but I have seen 6N and I have seen 2S. I have also seen zero, more than once. There is just no predicting it. Large areas can be at 3 knots on Tuesday & zero on Wednesday. Current is just a roll of the dice around here, unlike some other places where I have lived.

Probably a sand pumping pipe, moving sand from somewhere it builds up to a place where it disappears from. There are two similar operations near the border of New South Wales and Queensland where sand is taken away from the southern side of the entry to a waterway/river and deposited on the northern side. Also stops the waterway silting up.
There are a few "low points" in the area that get pumped out often. It's tidal and road runoff, not raw sewage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom