PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess my writing was not clear enough to you. I said

Basarnas stands for Badan SAR Nasional, which is the SAR group in Indonesia. Badan means department. Nasional means National.

It could have been more clear.

NOAA would contact your brother, who would contact the embassy. NOAA would contact the local authorities. This is what you were implying correct?

Reactions: Dan
The problem with small, custom-fit cases, is that you end up needing a ton fo them to actually carry your "come get me" stuff. With 1 canister, I can carry a PLB, glowstick, whistle, mirror, dye pack, granola bar, fresh water pouch, and have enough room for a Nautilus is I wanted to go that direction. Rescue streamer attached to the outside only because I'd need a canister twice as wide if I wanted to put it inside. Guys that carry even more than that end up needing a bunch of cases and dry bags and stowing them all over the place.

Different strokes for different folks, but I don't end up like a Christmas tree, all the giftos all over the place. One canister that's attached to me, requires intention to remove so it's not going to get lost, and capable of carrying multiple, useful items of varying levels of "comegetmeness," is the ticket IMO. I can go from whistle, to mirror to the proverbial "pop smoke" if I need to, including enough of the last mile goodies to give me the best chance of getting picked up.

No Christmas tree for me. I finally trimmed my safety signaling devices into just the following items:

In right BCD pocket:
1. Flashlight
2. DSMB
3. Spool with double ender
Flashlight tethered to BCD pocket D-ring
Spool is tethered to DSMB

In left BCD pocket:
1. PLB1 & shoulder mounting
2. PAB (Nautilus MRG)
3. Signal Mirror
4. Whistle
All tethered to BCD pocket D-ring

I’m not planning to be lost at sea for > 24 hours.

025FD867-CC6E-4E97-BD72-EC2305FC9787.jpeg

E3E00B29-BFA7-4309-BFAB-A309177DAA2E.jpeg

The problem with small, custom-fit cases, is that you end up needing a ton fo them to actually carry your "come get me" stuff. With 1 canister, I can carry a PLB, glowstick, whistle, mirror, dye pack, granola bar, fresh water pouch, and have enough room for a Nautilus is I wanted to go that direction. Rescue streamer attached to the outside only because I'd need a canister twice as wide if I wanted to put it inside. Guys that carry even more than that end up needing a bunch of cases and dry bags and stowing them all over the place.

Different strokes for different folks, but I don't end up like a Christmas tree, all the giftos all over the place. One canister that's attached to me, requires intention to remove so it's not going to get lost, and capable of carrying multiple, useful items of varying levels of "comegetmeness," is the ticket IMO. I can go from whistle, to mirror to the proverbial "pop smoke" if I need to, including enough of the last mile goodies to give me the best chance of getting picked up.

What ate the measurements of the sea rescue streamer in its pack please?

@Dan thanks. I wasn’t sure about the airspace in a plb or how pressure sensitive it would be in a sealed container but I think you are right.

The only difference I could see would be your test was in a flexible container. In a delerin canister or your acrylic one there would be little flex and as long as the seal worked as it’s supposed to the plan would be ok as it would be at 1 ata. This of course kills any benefit if not having to have a pressure vessel and only has the side benefit of drinking water. Having water at the risk of maybe messing up the plb is not worth it when you can stick a Capri sun in a pocket.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might be food for thought that could lead somewhere, lol. I’ll get back to setting up my canisters.

Here is a picture of PLB1 with antenna slightly pulled out. How good do you think the seal around the slot opening of the blade antenna (circled in red)? Also the exposed red alert & T test buttons (pointed with red arrows) are sensitive to pressure.

CEE9DCCC-DEAD-4662-A609-CBC09814E1A5.jpeg

What ate the measurements of the sea rescue streamer in its pack please?

About 7" tall x 1.5" diameter. It's a cheapy nylon belt case type of deal. There's a 2" strip on the back that can go over webbing. I have mine attached to the canister with the screw clamp. They live together now.

About 7" tall x 1.5" diameter. It's a cheapy nylon belt case type of deal. There's a 2" strip on the back that can go over webbing. I have mine attached to the canister with the screw clamp. They live together now.

I should have asked whether you have the small one ( sometimes referred to as the personal) or the large one?

That I don't know. Out of the holster it's 6" wide, and I want to say 25 feet long? I don't remember where I ordered it from to look it up.

That I don't know. Out of the holster it's 6" wide, and I want to say 25 feet long? I don't remember where I ordered it from to look it up.

No problem, thanks

I guess my writing was not clear enough to you. I said

Basarnas stands for Badan SAR Nasional, which is the SAR group in Indonesia. Badan means department. Nasional means National.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom