How comes only half of the mask gets fogged

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think @chillyinCanada is on the right track here. Spit, rise and don is the usual method. I do mine slightly different but all the steps are there. I spit (the greener the cleaner LOL) and then spread across the lenses using my finger. Then I don the mask and backroll in. Once at the surface and safe, I then rinse the mask with water. Usually I just duck my face in and flood the mask, then lift my head out, pull out the bottom of the mask to dump the water. Now I am ready to dive.

I say all that but basically the main issue is to spit, spread, rinse and put it on your face right away..right as you are about to get in the water. DO NOT touch the lenses inside once you have rinsed or you will have ruined your work and need more spit.

So, you don't spit, spread and then rinse with a handful of water? Then put your mask on? Meanwhile, it's around your neck.

OK, first, after spitting and spreading but shortly before entry, I'll scoop up some ocean water into the inside of my mask and leave it sort of soaking. I don't put it anywhere on my body until it goes on my face, but you already being in the water preparing for your dive, don't have anything to set your mask on, ergo it's around your neck. Hmm one thing, is there any chance that you inadvertently breathe into it as you are getting it settled on your face?

I can rinse it in water, but I believe it must be either some silicon left on the right lens or something wrong with the skirt. For example the silicon could be slightly damaged only on the right side of the skirt, or I breathe in a slightly different way with the right nostril and this is enough to get the mask fogged only on the right lens. I will try all the remaining methods (lighter flame, dishwasher, potatoes, napalm and whatever else) and then ditch the mask or sell it to someone who perhaps will not experience the same issue with it

Nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

Hahahaha
That’s for sure...
In the meanwhile I dared to ask about this gibberish topic to the very big boss of my freediving group. He trains with Pellizzari and Genoni (former world champions and recordmen), I was shy to ask him about this. He said take the toothpaste, spread it on the glass in and out. Spread it on the skirt and on every other part of the mask. Don’t touch it for one day and one night and then rinse it with warm water. When you dive spit inside the glass, wait some time and rinse it, use the mask and don’t remove it. This will work out for sure

Hahahaha
That’s for sure...
In the meanwhile I dared to ask about this gibberish topic to the very big boss of my freediving group. He trains with Pellizzari and Genoni (former world champions and recordmen), I was shy to ask him about this. He said take the toothpaste, spread it on the glass in and out. Spread it on the skirt and on every other part of the mask. Don’t touch it for one day and one night and then rinse it with warm water. When you dive spit inside the glass, wait some time and rinse it, use the mask and don’t remove it. This will work out for sure

I thought that you had already used the toothpaste? Did he tell you which type of toothpaste that it must be to be most effective ? Not the brand, the type. It must be old school white type.

I already tried toothpaste but not on the skirt and not for one day and one night. The one I used is Oral B whitening ‘delicate’ or ‘mild’ should be more or less the old school white toothpaste

I already tried toothpaste but not on the skirt and not for one day and one night. The one I used is Oral B whitening ‘delicate’ or ‘mild’ should be more or less the old school white toothpaste
I suspect a “mild” toothpaste may not have the fine polish in a regular toothpaste that provides the slight abrasive needed to clean the mask.

Trying this last method by FreeFlyFreak as my latest mask sure has defied all other methods...thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom