Island time? Why do we accept this excuse?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

“Africa”. The entire continent? Apparently every country there has the same lazy culture. What an ignorant statement. What a silly “americentric” view of the world.

Well, she was in Tanzania. But the Tanzanians (I hope spelled that correctly) would shrug their shoulders and call it “Africa time” when someone was an hour late. And apparently it happened often.

Nah, that's the soft bigotry of low expectations. It's not a cultural thing...

I have been to little shacks on the beach in developing countries where the owner is happy to greet you and bring you something to drink when you are thirsty, without waiting 15 minutes. I mean, anyone can run their business like they want, but it's not unreasonable to get bad press if you aren't giving good service. Calling it "Island Time" is just an excuse.

Sorry, you have the wrong guy. Born and raised in NY, and lived on the north shore of Long Island for the past 20 years. If anything, my expectations are too high. But having travelled all over the world, tough to find service at the level of the U.S. Yes, I have experienced 5 star level service at 5 star properties, hotels and restaurants. But in general, service outside the US is not at the speed a NYer is used to. My wife always reminds me, we are on Island time now. Even here in Florida, folks move a bit slower than NY.

I'm not talking about five star service, or fancy service or anything like that. I'm talking about simple courtesies. Like just being aware of a customer, bringing a glass of water, checking to see if they need anything. That's not a New York thing.

Can the dive operators use the same excuse? Buddy you up with an instabuddy who gives you a 20 minute runtime, drop you in a patch of sand a few hundred yards off shore, and call it "island time" if you complain..?

Nah, that's the soft bigotry of low expectations. It's not a cultural thing...

Calling it "Island Time" is just an excuse.

I would have to disagree here. It can be a cultural thing. The Hawaiian Islands have Island Time. Granted maybe not as bad as this but it does exist.

I live in the Middle East and "inshallah" is very much like island time. You will get it when you get it. Inshallah is a cultural thing and you have to learn to live with it.

Hmmm... so do you think that businesses based in the Caribbean or the Middle East or Hawaii that compete with other businesses around the world have that luxury? Some company is taking bids for a service like a call center or a manufacturing facility, and they just factor that in, because it's "cultural"?

"Yeah, the turnaround for shipments is slower with that group than with the others, but hey, Island Time!"

That's what the soft bigotry of low expectations means. Implying that a waitress in Ohio can bring you a glass of water within 2 minutes of you sitting at a table, but a waitress in Bonaire can't do that because of her culture, and that's OK. It just sounds patronizing to me.

Hmmm... so do you think that businesses based in the Caribbean or the Middle East or Hawaii that compete with other businesses around the world have that luxury? Some company is taking bids for a service like a call center or a manufacturing facility, and they just factor that in, because it's "cultural"?

"Yeah, the turnaround for shipments is slower with that group than with the others, but hey, Island Time!"

That's what the soft bigotry of low expectations means. Implying that a waitress in Ohio can bring you a glass of water within 2 minutes of you sitting at a table, but a waitress in Bonaire can't do that because of her culture, and that's OK. It just sounds patronizing to me.

They must have that luxury because they are still in business. You can say it is not cultural all you want but it is in fact, cultural. I can't speak to Bonaire..but I can speak to Hawaii and the Middle East. Is it right? That is another conversation altogether.

I despise getting bad or no service and then having that covered by the use of the word inshallah. I even told someone "NO inshallah, I need this done by 1100" It makes me crazy but it is not my country and not my culture.

Apparently the Dutch do not look at customer service as other cultures do. It has nothing to do with "island time". It is part of a culture of very direct, blunt people. This doesn't mean they are unfriendly, they simply interact with others in a very direct manner. No beating around the bush, very little nuance. For us Americans, it can seem a bit rude, but that's our problem. If you need something in a restaurant in Bonaire, ask for it, that includes the check. By the same token, they don't expect a 15-20% tip. 5 to 10% is more the norm.
If you want top of the line, 5 star service while on vacation, go to one of the Palace resorts. Doesn't matter which one. You will be pampered beyond your dreams. Unfortunately, they don't have one on Bonaire.

I personally love the directness, as well as the concept of leaving me be until I ask for something. It is a difference in cultures and is what makes travel, and the navigation of different norms, so much fun.

Have fun with it and adopt....you have plenty of time to be back in your home culture, dreaming up your next vacation.

I despise hearing the word inshallah. I even told someone "NO inshallah, I need this done by 1100" It makes me crazy but it is not my country and not my culture.

Yeah, but one of the things that modernity has produced is global standards. As more and more competition happens across borders and oceans, it's harder and harder to get away with poor service in the name of local culture. In some ways, this is a bad thing - it makes the world more homogenous. But think about the services you provide (whatever they are). If you were to consistently provide less, sooner or later someone else will provide more.

I want to book a dive charter for a dozen of my friends. We have one day in town, and we will be at the dock at 8. You say that the captain will be there inshallah? Sorry, gonna book with the guy down the road, whose captain will show up whether God wills it or not.

And in your line of work, sooner or later some local guy is going to realize that by getting whatever you need done by 1100, he is going to get all of your business. Even if that's not a part of his "culture".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom